V7S5X No Astra 28.2

V7 TT Pro / V7S HD /V7 Plus/V7 S2X /V7PRO/ V7 TT

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

krw101

V7S5X No Astra 28.2

Post by krw101 »

Bought this and a new dish with sky hybrid LNB. I just want the freesat Astra E28.2 channels/programs setup instructions. As the Eutelsat has the same dish alignment I thought the receiver would get all available channels available using that preloaded config in the satellite list. At the moment I am getting nothing, the signal strength is good at 88 but O quality. A scan gets zero results for tv or radio. I would like to just setup the V7 to search for content on Astra E28.2 freesat channels. Should the LNB settings stay the same as preconfigured for Eutelsat. Do I have to manually ADD a new satellite? I can't find any help on Utube for UK setups but if I was in NZ USA CANADA INDIA there are some videos on setting it up. They all seem to know what settings to put into the lnb and sat setting pages, That information I cannot find for UK Astra freesat setups.
I tried updating the firmware on the first v7 I boughtin January and that bricked it, after following the very poor instructions from gtmedia download page. I hope there is someone who has successfully gone through the setup procedure and can give instruction step by step on the setup for Astra freesat. There is no way I am going to update this one until confirmation of instructions from a reliable source. this box has 2 usb sockets and they don't even list which socket to use for updates. Some say extract folder to root of usb drive other instructions say extract and rename flash.bin etc etc. Also say copy key files etc to usb first before flashing, I don't have any key files. I'ts a nightmare for novices who have very little knowledge. Hope someone can help or at least give me a list of settings needed!

STRETCH

Re: V7S5X No Astra 28.2

Post by STRETCH »

To use this receiver just for viewing the FTA channels from 28e, it is best to purchase a (Universal) lnb (like as the photo from a well known site.
When you have purchased the correct lnb, come back onto the forum, we will then run through setting the receiver up etc, with a few photo's to help.

Den
Attachments
61UDH0C1LtL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg
61UDH0C1LtL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 398 times

krw101

Post by krw101 »

Hi thanks for the reply. The LNB I bought is a Hybrid model EL030 with 2 sky Q UWB and 2 standard hd outputs 1 have used a single HD connector to the GTMedia receiver. The EL030 was recommended by a satellite equipment seller on Ebay, and has sold hundreds of them. I do not think another LNB would be required. I have been relying on the signal/quality readings along the bottom of the Satellite setup page of the V7S5 but this does not actually give a true reading until a sat is "tuned in". Since posting been able to get some channels from using the EUTELSAT 28.2 DEFAULT SETTINGS BUT GET MULTIPLE ENTRIES OF THE SAME CHANNELS Most of which are encrypted or no signal received. I do get a true signal reading and quality reading once the scan has been completed. Thanks again for your help and suggestions
KW

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

When you carry out a transponder search, were it says (FTA Only) put (YES), Scan Channel (TV).
Most of the Multi channels, that you are getting are to cover various regions of the UK.
i will put a few more photo's on here for you, they will not be in order, but should help you get sorted.
When you have finished scanning, you will need to go to the channel list, then start to delete the channels that you do not require then arrange the ones left into a order that you require, when done save to a USB for save keeping.

Den
Attachments
101_1985.JPG
101_1985.JPG (962.05 KiB) Viewed 351 times
101_1984.JPG
101_1984.JPG (1019.48 KiB) Viewed 351 times
100_1992.JPG
100_1992.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 351 times

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

Some more photo's.

Den
Attachments
101_1989.JPG
101_1989.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 351 times
101_1988.JPG
101_1988.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 351 times
101_1987.JPG
101_1987.JPG (887.94 KiB) Viewed 351 times
101_1986.JPG
101_1986.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 351 times

krw101

Post by krw101 »

Thanks to Stetch for his very helpful advice and included pics. I am sure a lot of this will be a great help to all us new V7 owners who are new to these boxes.
I was hoping the 28.2 eutelsat scan could be overidden to only scan for Astra E F G in some way making the resulting channal list smaller [2300 found channels ] and need editing in some way to get just the wanted ones!
Is there perhaps a way to wipe Eutelsat 28.2 results and renew a scan to only "save" the channels output by Astra 28.2 freeview. or is it safer to just edit out unwanted channels.
Many thanks to you stretch,
Regards KW

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

Best to Edit out the channels not required, when that done, arrange them in a order like they show on the (Freeview) system.
The next bit will take a while to do, but will be worth it in the long run.
Menu / Channel List / OK / Press Blue on the Remote (Twice) / At the next window the curser will be on (Del pg by one by one) / Press OK / The curser
will be on a channel with a (Cross) by the side of it, (if this is one of many channels that you wish to delete) / With the Bottom Arrow on the remote
move the curser Down to the next channel to deleted / Press OK on the remote / Do this a few times then Press Exit TWICE a window will come to the
screen (Are you Sure to Save) Yes NO / Move the Curser over to YES / Then Press OK on the remote / That will Delete the channels.
Keep doing this to remove the channels that you do not require.

Will update later on how to Move channels

Den

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

Now how to Move Channels within the Channel List.

Menu / TV Channel List / OK / Yellow on the remote / Move curser to (BBC 1 HD) for your region / OK / A symbol with (two arrows within a circle)
will appear / Again with the Arrows on the remote move to No. 1 / Press (info) on the remote (this info is at the bottom of the screen).
When the channel has moved / Press Yellow on the remote / This will (delete) the (symbol). You can now move to curser to the next channel on your list (ie BBC 2 HD). Do this to ALL CHANNELS to get the list that you require.
After a few moves, just to check that you are moving the channels and putting them correct in order, carry out the following.
Press Exit / A window will appear move the curser to (YES) / OK / Then Exit out. At this point Press OK on the remote, this should show the channel
list with the channels that you have moved.
I Know that this will take a long time, (i have done it), when done save the list to a USB, as a (Back-Up) also can be used when setting up another
V7S5X receiver, you can put these details onto the receiver (saving time).
If you get lost, or require help just ask.
Hope this helps.

Den

krw101

Post by krw101 »

Thank you for the detailed help. I have a couple of questions;
1/ which of the two usb sockets is used for updating/ backup.
2/ the wifi aerial is plugged into the rear usb and works ok. is this it's only use.
3/ I assume the front usb is for hard drive / memory stick and updates is this correct.
4/ Does the backup of channel list get saved as part of a complete backup or as a separate file.
5/ I bricked a previous V7S5X by trying to update it SO instructions that work would be helpful when they update the software. As it was a new box there ws no data to "save" before loading in the updated software file which at first was uncompressed and the the folder put on usb drive. This failed so tried moving the file out of the folder and onto the root of the usb. after 5mins the box rebooted and a distorted welcome screen stayed frozen. Tried rebooting etc, result=bricked. Tried a "forced update" sequence but failed to do anything. Am now reluctant to try update in case the box is a clone and will not do updates.
Thanks for all the help so far, will do the deleting and moving of channels at the weekend.

KW

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

Will post a update for you later today, giving answers to your questions.

Den

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

Some answers for you against your questions.
1. Best to use the USB socket at the front of the receiver to carry out updates etc, easy to get at.
2. The USB socket at the rear is for the WIFI aerial, with it working OK, leave it as it is.
3. Answer per No. 1.
4. The Channel List back-up is a separate file, named as (User DB).

Before you carry out ANY update to your receiver, you MUST always make a (User DB) file.
(Over time you will always be making adjustments to your channel lists, when new channels are added / channels are closed)

To make a Back-up of your Channel List, Insert a blank USB into the socket at the front of the receiver Menu /Move to the with the arrows
till you get to Tools / Move Down to USB Backup / OK / With Arrow on the remote move right to (User DB) / Move Down to Start / OK /
What will come to the screen will be (Backup Success) / Press OK.

With the new software download, you need to Extract the software, double click the File Folder, at the next stage, double click the file,
were you should see Two Files, one been a Text Document, the other been the (BIN) file, which is the one that you require, click on this and
transfer to the USB, which you will have the channel list on.

You will now have two files on a USB, one of which will be the Channel list (V7S5X_DB.bin), the other will be the new software, when there is
a update the file should look like this ( V7S5X_V4.2.9.464.bin). Which should be the software that is on your receiver now.

To carry out the update is as follows Menu / Tools / USB Upgrade / OK / At the next screen (All Code) it should show at the (Upgrade File)
the new file to be upgraded to (ie V7S5X_V4.2.9.464.bin), move curser to (Start) / OK / Will show (Are you sure to burn flash?) Move
curser to (YES) / OK / When Done, the receiver should reboot, then do the same again for the Channel list, Menu / Tools / USB Upgrade /
OK / With arrow on remote move to (User DB), the Upgrade File should read V7S5X_DB.bin / Move curser to Start / OK / As before do you
wish to burn flash, move curser to YES / OK / When Done the receiver will Reboot. Job Done.

A lot of reading for you. Hope this helps you in getting sorted.

Den

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

krw101 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:19 am
Thank you for the detailed help. I have a couple of questions;
1/ which of the two usb sockets is used for updating/ backup.
2/ the wifi aerial is plugged into the rear usb and works ok. is this it's only use.
3/ I assume the front usb is for hard drive / memory stick and updates is this correct.
4/ Does the backup of channel list get saved as part of a complete backup or as a separate file.
5/ I bricked a previous V7S5X by trying to update it SO instructions that work would be helpful when they update the software. As it was a new box there ws no data to "save" before loading in the updated software file which at first was uncompressed and the the folder put on usb drive. This failed so tried moving the file out of the folder and onto the root of the usb. after 5mins the box rebooted and a distorted welcome screen stayed frozen. Tried rebooting etc, result=bricked. Tried a "forced update" sequence but failed to do anything. Am now reluctant to try update in case the box is a clone and will not do updates.
Thanks for all the help so far, will do the deleting and moving of channels at the weekend.

KW
After this update, does your old unit show "boot" and then other info on the front display?
GT Media units use PAL TV system as default. There is the TV Mode button on most GT Media unit remotes.
TV Mode will change the TV format, 1080 576, PAL NTSC with each press.
The unpacked file should be used.
I have found that if there are too many files on the USB main directory the box will not see the update file. Max around 20 files.
Try the forced recovery with the same software version as was in the box when you tried to update it, or older different software versions unpacked and renamed flash.bin

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

Return to “GTMEDIA V7 SERIES”