Freesat V8 Finder

V8 NOVA / V8 HONOR / V8 PRO2/V8 UHD / V8X

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

liutkinas

Freesat V8 Finder

Post by liutkinas »

Hi, I found a few bugs on Freesat V8 Finder.
1. Date and time can not be set manually.
2. Sometimes screen start flickering and shuting down automatically, and after few seconds turn on again. (At the moment when bug happened, the battery was full charged and I did not push any buttons)
3. When i connect Freesat V8 finder directly to motor only (LNB is not connected), the finder works good and motor moving to satellites positions. But if I connecting one LNB or two LNBs through DiSEqC switch to the motor, the motor does not moving to positions of satellites. My motor is Amiko DM3800 and it support DiSEqC 1.2 & USALS protocols.
4. The battery pictogram on the screen does not shows the actual battery power, I tested Freesat V8 Finder up to 4 hours and more, but battery pictogram on the screen shows thats battery is full charged.
Please fix this bugs as quickly as possible.

Eak_Dumnern
网站管理员

Re: Freesat V8 Finder

Post by Eak_Dumnern »

Yes, found Date and Time setting error and battery always shown full.

Remark: firmware on 28-02-2017

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

I also reported that Diseqc 1.0 is NOT working.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Hi all
Edited 25 April 2017 with results of update software 20170421
Here are my findings on the V8 Finder so far.
I have sent these to Freesat.

V8 Finder software bags, March 2017, Feralkiwi / Owen.

Volume control: Fixed with software version 20170421.
If the up volume button is held on, the volume keeps going up.
If the down volume button is held on, the volume does not keep going down.

Satellite lists names.
The satellite list that comes up when the "Blue" button is pressed only shows 10 letters.
This means that "Intelsat 19c" is cut to "Intelsat 1".
With many Intelsats, 18 and 19 both with C and ku band, I see four all with the same name, "Intelsat 1".
The satellite list that comes up when you press the Blue button while in the channel list shows 15 or 16 letters.
Above Fixed with software version 20170421.
If the channel you are on in the channel list is longer than the display area it scrolls. If you are on a scrolling channel name when you press the blue button, that scrolling channel name is shown on top of the satellite list. 20170421 Still does this

USARLS Location menu: Fixed with software version 20170421.
The “SAVE” and “Exit” on screen clicks are not labeled.

DiSEqC 1.1 port number: Fixed with software version 20170421.
The Info display shows “0” if port “1” is set in the satellite menu and “5” for port”6” etc.

The Battery level display: This is still a bit random with 21070421.
The battery display is a bit random. One time it shows low and the next power on shows full.
This will mean the battery is not well protected from being over discharged.

Incorrect message for moving dish: Fixed with software version 20170421.
When a channel is selected that has the DiSEqC move enabled, the massage "Out of range" shows, not the "Moving dish" message.
The "Moving dish" message now slows changing sats in the Satellite Installation menu and pops up late, after you have changed to many other sats.

LNB Power: With software 20170421 there is no longer an option for LNB Power "OFF", only "Auto, V and H".
The setting power “OFF” in the satellite menu does not turn off the LNB power.
There is a NEW HARDWARE VERSION for the V8 Finder that has fixed the 22kHz problem listed below and this new hardware version works all DiSEqC switching, Universal LNB and USALS movers.
The new hardware unit I have has a blue LED for the "Lock" light. The older version has a red LED for the Lock light.
31 Jan 2018 , Owen
The unit can not switch DiSEqC 1.1: This problem is still present with 20170421. My checks on the LNB power output show that there is a ripple voltage from the power supply that is close or the same as the 22kHz tone used for switching. See my posts lower on this topic.
The over current protection trips in with a DiSEqC 1.1 switch, DiSEqC 1.0 switch and the LNB.
This unit can not provide power for two switches and the LNB.
The over current protection is tripping in and out so fast that the 22kHz light on a satellite finder meter shows as “ON” due to the power switching on off very fast. After my tests that found the ripple on the LNB power I feel that the over current may not be the issue.
This unit has even less current output for the LNB then the V7HD and the V8 Golden that both work on my dish network.
This over current protection powers off the DiSEqC 1.0 switch and resets it to port 1.
Some DiSEqC 1.1 switching is successful on vertical (13volts) polarity.

Some things that would be good to have:

Favorites:
Pressing the “Blue” button brings up the Satellite list. 20170421 No change here.
It would be good to have the “Yellow” button bring up the Favorites list.
Favorites list can be accessed by pressing the Blue button when the channel list is showing, and then scrolling up or down until the favorites list is reached.

Encrypted programs: 20170421 No change here.
While there is no card slot or net connection for ccam, the BISS, Constant CW and PowerVu encryption could still be in this unit. Some satellites need TP's with only encrypted programs to be fine tuned.
Being able to load your softcam.key file would be very useful.

The 3.5mm AV connections:
I see you have provided a 3.5mm x 15mm (short) cable for the av input / output.
This cable only just reaches the connections and will lose video if moved only a little.
The AV connections work much better with a deep 3.5mm (x 17mm) cable.

I also noted that as the AV IN cable is plugged in, there is a voltage present on the ground connection that cuts the video on my V8 Golden that I was sourcing the video from, IF the power charger is plugged in.
I need to test this further.

With a few corrections it look to be a good unit, if the lnb power thing can be solved.
It works fine with just one DiSEqC 1.0 switch but does not work for cascaded switches.

The V7HD software has a delay for the signal intensity and quality display. Changes for this were made with the 20170314 software. I have not tested this yet.
For a finder you need that display to work very quickly.
Changing this with out making moving in the TP list or satellite setup page very slow would be needed.
Maybe make the "Pause" button enable fast signal quality reporting with a massage on the screen to say that function is selected and to cancel press "Pause" again.
To make room for this advice at the bottom of the screen remove the "Exit" for exit text in the bottom right of the screen.

I have tried to use DiSEqC dish moving commands on the V8 Finder today.

The finder will send commands to one of my two different types of dish move controllers.
It will move the dish from one position to another when the channel is changed IF both channels are on vertical polarity (13V). If a H polarity channel is used the move command is lost.
This test was done with the V8 finder connected to a satellite finder meter and then to the DiSEqC move controller with NO LNB or dish connected. Just two items is too much for the V8 Finder LNB power supply.

The V8 Finder only works when connected via ONE DiSEqC switch to a LNB.

It did not work at all directly connected to a USALS mover. It had a very load buzz from the audio speaker due to the over current protection switching off the LNB power.

It looks more like the finder can not supply enough current when it is on horizontal polarity, 18 Volts.
Many times I see the 22kHz lamp on my satellite finder meter "ON" due to the over current protection turning the lnb power on off very fast, and while this is happening I can hear a buzz from the audio speaker due to the V8 Finder internal power supply being pulsed by this over current switching.

I hope you can fix this. The new hardware version has fixed this. (31 Jan 2018)

With out the modification to the program to show fast signal strength and quality changes, and the ability to control dish movers and cascade DiSEqC switching, this V8 Finder is more like a hand held V7HD satellite TV. Changes made in 20170314 software for this, yet to test.

I was looking at the USB functions.

The record timer to record programs only shows some of the time and date numbers. Record time has been removed in 20170421.
eg; Start time is shown as 1:1 and if you press OK to change it you can still move through and adjust 4 numbers even though only two are shown.

Also the user data base is saved as "user_db_ssdata.bin". It would be good to have it save as "V8_Finder_user_db_ssdata.bin".
20170421 now saves as "freesatv8finder_dbssdata.bin".

I note that if the battery has been unplugged, when it is reconnected the unit will not power on until the unit has been connected to the charger.

A friend tells me that the "One Cable Solution" LNB's use 200-220mA.
The V8 Finder would not power just that OCS LNB.
The over current protection was switching the power on and off, making the 22kHz lamp on my sat meter (when it was connected) and the speaker in the V8 finder buzz.
While testing with this OCS LNB the unit shut down. The over current protection pulsing the power must have coincided with a battery level test and the unit decided that the battery was flat. You can not turn on the unit until the battery level circuit finds a high level again.
To fix this you need to plug the V8 Finder onto the charger to be able to turn it on again.
That's a pain if you are up on the roof.

Edited 11 April:
There is no "Exit" when doing a search. It is faster to power off and on than wait for the search to finish.
Fixed with software version 20170421.

I will set up and do a DC current load test with an oscilloscope etc on the V8 Finder this week. See my post lower in this topic for results.

Freesat have acknowledged some of this and are fixing it.
Well done Freesat on fixing the listed software faults. Owen

Software 20170421 new items:
The OSC on screen setting now has the "time out" option for "100" , "150", "200" or "250"
The Info screen for the channel now stays on until you press "Exit" to remove it regardless of the setting.
This is good when you are looking at the levels during setup.

I could not down grade to older software.
I could not do a "flash.bin" USB recovery at power on by pressing the menu button.

Much improved software.
The LNB power supply ripple is still an issue. Fixed in the new hardware version (31 Jan 2018)

Some advise on the cover for the V8 Finder: I found that my early model has a scratched screen from the two fold out flaps on the cover.
With my new unit I am keeping these fold out flaps folded out when I close the cover.
31 Jan 2018

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

liutkinas

Post by liutkinas »

When can we expect the new software for V8 finder?

paulhendra

Post by paulhendra »

how input biss key with freesat v8 finder...becasue On satellite thaicom 5/6/8 all ch tv encypted with biss Please add for this satfinder
Last edited by paulhendra on Thu May 04, 2017 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eak_Dumnern
网站管理员

Post by Eak_Dumnern »

V8 Satellite Finder need improve software and add input soft key menu for decode.

liutkinas

Post by liutkinas »

Please add the function "MOTOR go to ZERO (0)" on the USUAL protocol.Thanks.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Hello All

I have done some DC current tests on the V8 Finder.

I used just a DC load with no LNB. I added load in 22mA steps.
The voltage held well at 18.5 volts, dropping from 18.6 on low load.

At above 50 to 60mA a tone can be heard from the V8 Finder speaker. With more load this tone increases in pitch.

On the oscilloscope screen I find that this tone is also a ripple on the DC LNB output.
It has high spikes when it rises that can just be seen and the frequency of the ripple approaches 22kHz when the load is over 180mA.
This pic of the oscilloscope shows that ripple. The next pic shows the ripple with the 12volt battery charger pluged in.
AC Ripple.JPG
AC Ripple.JPG (33.87 KiB) Viewed 16533 times
12v AC Ripple.JPG
12v AC Ripple.JPG (31.3 KiB) Viewed 16533 times
This next pic shows the 22kHz tone "ON".
22kHz Tone.JPG
22kHz Tone.JPG (35.51 KiB) Viewed 16533 times
Note that the ripple frequency when using battery and the 22kHz tone are at the same frequency.
I think this is what is causing the problems. You can not send 22kHz tone instructions if there is already a tone there.

To compare this I tested my Skybox F5s LNB output.
The ripple from the skybox is 10 times the frequency and quater of the voltage.
This pic is the ripple of the Skybox. Note the scope setting are changed for this pic.
Skybox ripple.JPG
Skybox ripple.JPG (39.99 KiB) Viewed 16533 times
This pic shows the Skybox 22kHz tone at the same settings as the Freesat V8 Finder were taken.
Skybox 22kHz.JPG
Skybox 22kHz.JPG (35.2 KiB) Viewed 16533 times
This is my test setup.
Test Setup.JPG
Test Setup.JPG (65.54 KiB) Viewed 16533 times
I do not know what can be done with this.
Maybe the components in the power supply need to be changed to alter the frequency and improve the ripple level, including the spike.
Another user reported finding a 6 volt ripple on the lnb output of their V8 golden.

My next step is to open the V8 finder and see if I can add some filters to the 18v LNB power supply.
With small components and small boards I will find this difficult.

Edited Friday 21 to add comment on V8 and V7:
I looked at the outputs from my V8 Golden and a V7HD and they both had small ripples like the Skybox and much cleaner 22kHz wave forms too.
This problem maybe from the power supply being from a 7.2 volt battery. That and the frequency the power supply is switching at.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

I have updated my post of Fri Mar 31, 2017 on this topic to show the changes.

Looks like they have fixed the software issues I listed.
Well done Freesat.

Owen

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

Unfortunately, Diseqc 1.0 still NO working. Only sees port 1. Cant access Port 2,3,4,

liutkinas

Post by liutkinas »

Motor with Diseqc 1.0 is still not working on the USUAL protocol.
Date and time manually settings is fixed.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Inside the V8 Finder.

The power supply area on the V8 Finder board is shown on the pic at the left middle.
The capacitors for the 18 volt supply are two electrolytic caps of 100uF 25V.
It is best practice to use 35v caps for a 18v circuit. The V8 Golden does have a 35v 220uF caps for this circuit.
The battery supply of 7-8 volts (7.2v LI battery) is supplied to this section of the board.

What is needed is to change the frequency of the switching for the 18v power supply.
The frequency at present is close to the 22kHz tone switching frequency, so DiSEqC switching is blocked.
The frequency increases as the 18v supply is loaded and is at 22kHz with about 200mA load, the load of one switch and one LNB.
The V8 Golden uses a frequency for the 18v power supply that is ten time greater than 22kHz.
Adding more electrolytic caps to the circuit would slow this frequency increase, but most equipment that detects 22kHz is very inaccurate.
With just my satellite meter, low load on the V8 Finder LNB output, the 22kHz lamp on the sat meter shows "ON" and "OFF".

Please Freesat engineers, is there a way of increasing the frequency of the 18v LNB power supply in the V8 Finder?
Maybe adding a component somewhere to fix this.

Owen

Here are pics of the inside of the V8 Finder.
P1014168.JPG
P1014168.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 16263 times
P1014169.JPG
P1014169.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 16263 times

joaquin012

Post by joaquin012 »

Please be advised if Freesat Finder works with the engine. Move the parabolic to the desired satellites? Thank you very much
Saludos de joaquin

joaquin012

Post by joaquin012 »

How to buy Freesat V8 Finder?
Saludos de joaquin

Eak_Dumnern
网站管理员

Post by Eak_Dumnern »

You can buy at freesat website (this here) or Aliexpress.com ( this here).

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

joaquin wrote:Please be advised if Freesat Finder works with the engine. Move the parabolic to the desired satellites? Thank you very much
The V8 Finder will not switch any 22kHz tone control, so no dish movers, no DiSEqC switches, no Universal LNBs.
This is due to the power supply switch frequency being 22kHz.

This is listed in my post earlier in this topic.

Owen

PS today I used the finder on a dual LNB and it tuned to the 22kHz tone on side, not the off side as I had it set.
This makes the V8 Finder un usable in New Zealand on standard Sky TV dishes that use dual LNB's.
On a universal LNB you will only get the high side as the lnb will detect the 22kHz tone of the power supply.

Also there is no Exit while doing a scan. Engineers please fix this.
Edited 9 June 2017: 20170606 version of software has fixed this.

joaquin012

Post by joaquin012 »

There is a manual to update the Freesat V8 Finder. How to insert the Finder update?
Saludos de joaquin

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

Hello

This is a generic guideliness for Freesat models. See if it helps!!
Attachments
How to upgrade and backup by USB.rar
(539.27 KiB) Downloaded 301 times

joaquin012

Post by joaquin012 »

Thanks friend. I am talking about Finder Finder. How to update Finder Finder? Is there a manual?
Saludos de joaquin

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

it is a similar procedure:

Download the latest V8 Finder file
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1746

Put it on a USB drive

Load the USB to the Finder
a message will pop up:
"USB Device Connected. Exist Upgrade File, do you want to upgrade?
Yes or No

You can go ahead and hit Yes and thats it or hit No then OK
"USB Storage connected"

Go to menu/ Tools
USB Upgrade
Upgrade Mode should be ALL CODE
Upgrade File: Look for the latest file on your USB drive
Hit START and wait till it finished.

joaquin012

Post by joaquin012 »

Thanks again, my friend.
Saludos de joaquin

tolik_khlistu

Post by tolik_khlistu »

Hello! I purchased this device on Aliexpress in March and wanted to express my wishes regarding the software of the device. Until then, nebylo If there is such an opportunity, I would like to see the adjustment scale when selecting a particular transponder for the whole screen. For example:
1.png
1.png (610.73 KiB) Viewed 15097 times
2.png
2.png (393.06 KiB) Viewed 15097 times
3.png
3.png (206.63 KiB) Viewed 15097 times
Interested in the same opportunity to implement the menu item "record" in full.
P70522-154606.jpg
P70522-154606.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 15097 times
If there is a short circuit in the cable, the device turns off and can only be turned on by connecting to a network charger.

xtraveo

Post by xtraveo »

That is a good point, I can not see the number at day light. best regards.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

The new software 23/05/2017 still does not allow an "EXIT" from a scan.
If you start a scan you can not exit and stop that scan.

Edited 9 June 2017: 20170606 version of software has fixed this.
Owen

Return to “GTMEDIA V8 SERIES”