V8 Remote Update

V8 NOVA / V8 HONOR / V8 PRO2/V8 UHD / V8X

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

Yankee495

Re: V8 Remote Update

Post by Yankee495 »

aaron89 wrote:Hi, the actual V8 remote update software works very good from within a local network, but I would like to see a real remote update so I can help a friend to update the decoder. I'm thinking in something like a server (own or offered by Freesat) that the decoder is always connected and identified by the serial number or an specified nickname in the box settings, it would be great :D
For now, I'll try to make it work remotely by allowing access to the port 29000 from the internet in the router configuration.
Cool, thanks for the info, I hadn't gotten to that yet. They do plan on a Freesat server I believe, it's what's in it for a test server. But local network will save wear and tear on the USB port and the hassle of manually doing it. How did you do it? Just set up a shared folder? And what does the file name need to be? Also, will it load a channel list or just the FW?

It would be really nice to be able to edit your channel list on a computer and tell the box to load it!

Yankee495

Post by Yankee495 »

Hey, you got the haha right! Haha! :D

I have the tool, forgot about it. I had to do my sats (43 of them) manually so I'm just now going thourgh everything it can do. I did get Sat2IP to work, that's a nice feature.

I was working on an FTP server on my local network. It says login failed but I don't see that there was a login attempt in the server log. I'm running Linux so starting up a server isn't a problem, I have HTTP & FTP servers already installed and running. There is "Auto Detect" in the menu so maybe that is auto detect the port?

Ooops! I hit Mute 999 and it said "recording data, thanks". I wonder what that did, there isn't a USB stick in it so it had to put something in RAM or flash memory.

I'll let you know if I can get the box to log into my FTP server. So far it still isn't showing any attempts to log in.

Edit: What is Live TV in the server program? How could you send it live TV? Also, what is a "Preset"? I seen that some of the older FW loaded files we don't have now, or at least we don't have a way to dump those kind of files anymore.

Yankee495

Post by Yankee495 »

I figured out the tool, thank you very much! To be a little more clear for other people, prepare the tool with the file and type set. Make sure the IP address of the box is right and power it up. While it's booting hit the green button (Start Server) on the tool. The screen will say it is waiting on your to press send file and after you press it, then it'll update and reboot.

The instructions are in the file above but I wasn't sure when to start the server. It works great and is a really nice feature!
Hope that helps.

Edit: I'm still working on a local or internet FTP upgrade. Local will be good for a start then I'll try it by having it go to my outside IP address instead of my LAN address.

SatEze

Post by SatEze »

This a nice feature. I will try that when time permits! Great job guys! :mrgreen:

Yankee495

Post by Yankee495 »

I got mine to access an FTP server on the LAN. I could see it access it in the log but it wouldn't do the update. I don't know what the file name has to be for it to find it etc. And, I know what you mean about "hours & hours", ports can be a pain and it does sound like a bug if it can't use the DNS info and resolve the IP.

When they started the forum I installed phpBB3, Apache and the whole deal to see how it worked. I have a full blown forum set up on here but you can't access it and I don't know why (for sure). If I use an online port scanner it's open on port 80 and Down for just me says it's up, but it will not give you the page. If I use IP pass through to where my desktop has the public IP assigned to it, then you can get in from the internet.

It's when I set the router for server port forwarding (on the main router) that it will not give you the page even though everything says the server is up. With pass through it works with no other changes to the server or second router (running DD-WRT). With server port forwarding I can even see the bots trying to hack it but it will not give you the page. Pretty weird and I think it's a bug in the port forwarding in the main router. You select HTTP server and the IP to forward it to, pretty simple.

The main router is not running DD-WRT but the one the desktop is connected to is. It's a repeater to get to the other end of the house and it's the main router that has the bug (I believe) because if I set it to IP pass through, it works!!!

Here is the log when it is set to server forwarding:

"GET /admin/i18n/readme.txt HTTP/1.1" 404 1021 "-" "python-requests/2.6.0 CPython/2.7.5 Linux/3.10.0-327.18.2.el7.x86_64"

"GET /hndUnblock.cgi HTTP/1.0" 404 1021 "-" "Wget(linux)"
"GET /tmUnblock.cgi HTTP/1.0" 404 1021 "-" "Wget(linux)"
"GET /cgi/common.cgi HTTP/1.0" 404 1021 "-" "Wget(linux)"
"GET /stssys.htm HTTP/1.0" 404 1021 "-" "Wget(linux)"
"GET / HTTP/1.0" 200 24883 "-" "Wget(linux)"
"POST /command.php HTTP/1.0" 404 1021 "-" "Wget(linux)"

See that! Those are all looking for Cisco router vulnerabilities! They got a 404 but you can't get the page. Gotta be a bug because opening it up fully makes the server work just fine and it's a full blown forum, customized with themes and all. I removed the IP's and times and just posted the requests that were made.

Yankee495

Post by Yankee495 »

Great info Aaron! I'll copy this and save it in my "Instructions" folder. I'll give that a shot and see what I can figure out. Right now I'm looking for a couple of coax ends to make a new cable to loop out of a Super to another Super. It's hooked up and it rocks but the cable is crap and guess who forgot to order some F connectors? I have some really nice Commscope cable but no connectors, duh!

Back on topic now. First, how did you come to know some much about the V8's? And the XML file info you posted...that file goes in the FTP folder that is specified in the V8, right? If I have it on my desktop I would put this in the V8: ftp://123.123.123.123/v8updates/up1.xml

Then in the up1.xml I specify where the actual bin file is, correct? "Mode 0" is for firmware and "Mode 1" is for DB files, awesome!

That looks easy enough but what is "Customer"? Does it have any affect on if the V8 will accept the file?

Rambo

Post by Rambo »

what is "Customer"? Does it have any affect on if the V8 will accept the file?

this element is reserved for customize。

now the public firmware can only accecpt "Freesat" and "kokanee". don't change it.
thanks.
Day Day Up!

Yankee495

Post by Yankee495 »

Rambo wrote:what is "Customer"? Does it have any affect on if the V8 will accept the file?

this element is reserved for customize。

now the public firmware can only accecpt "Freesat" and "kokanee". don't change it.
thanks.

Thank you Rambo, we got it working. I have two V8 Supers and now I can update by LAN. It is easier than using a USB when you have more than one V8.

For those who want to use Upgrade by LAN:

I have finally figured out how to update a V8 Super from an FTP or HTTP server on your LAN. This is not the same as the network upgrade on the S9 where you had a special program and pushed the update to the S9.

In the "Tools" menu you have "Network Upgrade".

You can select "FTP" or HTTP", simple enough.

"Auto Detect" can be set to "On" which causes the Super to check for an update at startup. "Off" is off.

"Server Type" allows you to input the server address as either a numerical IP address or a text "String".

Then you have "User" name, "Password", and "Start".

To update from your LAN you need an FTP or HTTP server program. There are many available for Windows which most people use. If you run Linux like I do, you already have a few. The XML file below needs to go in the root folder of the server and it must be named "v8_super_upg.xml" in all lower case. I'll get back to case in a minute.

Copy this and make a text file then name it "v8_super_upg.xml".

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<entry>
  <customer attribute="kokanee">
    <item>
      <mode>0</mode>
      <version>1</version>
      <url>ftp://192.168.1.140/v8_super_v347.bin</url>
      <name>V8_Super_V347</name>
    </item>
    <item>
      <mode>1</mode>
      <version>2</version>
      <url>ftp://192.168.1.140/v8_super_db09072016.bin</url>
      <name>v8_super_db09072016.bin</name>
    </item>
  </customer>
</entry>
<mode>0</mode> designates a firmware file. The <url> file name can be anything as long as they are all lower case. They must contain the entire path to the file as posted above and they must match the actual .bin file name. The .bin file can be in any folder the server has access to as long as you specify the full path in the XML file.

<mode>1</mode> designates a user database file and the same rules apply to the URL and file naming as Mode 0.

Names in the <name> tag are just text strings to explain what the file is and can be anything. I tried different names for <customer attribute="kokanee"> but anything besides "kokanee" gives an error that the file is not for this STB.

You can have several Mode 0 and several Mode 1 sections so that you can load and try different firmware files or lists. Just use an <item>, <mode>, <version>, <url>, and <name> line and then an ending </item> tag. Keep your mode 0 and mode 1 sections together and put all of them between the <customer> tags.

This works on v347 firmware. Mine said there was not a newer file until I changed the <version> to number 2 for Mode 1 (userdb). I think the version checking on mode 0 (firmware) will let you load anything. I didn't flash a bunch of FW files to test it.

Now, more about lower case. A guy named Aaron gave me a PDF with instructions for network upgrading the A5S and V8 Combo (The PDF is Attached). The PDF showed upper case too but it doesn't work, I wasted 20 minutes on that one. I fired up my Apache server and checked the log and the V8 Super was looking for a file named "v8_super_upg.xml", all lower case. As soon as I changed everything to lower case it worked. I also checked my servers and they are not running case modification scripts etc, so the Super is looking for an all lower case file name. If you don't know, some servers can be configured to convert everything to lower case, mine are not converting anything.

I tested FTP mode with ProFTPD and HTTP mode with Apache, both worked equally well and it's lightening fast on your LAN! This will probably work on other V8 STB's such as the Golden but you need to figure out the name of the file it is looking for. A server access log should tell you that information (what the V8 tried to GET). I used Apache to monitor the get command from the V8 Super. This will be very handy when you're editing your list on the computer and want to load it into your V8 Super, or to multiple Supers! How many times have you missed something and it's another 15 minutes of the USB stick swapping game? This will eliminate that.

Just save the file as my_v8super_db.bin in the server root folder and you won't even have to edit the XML file. Then do a network upgrade and there you go, your new list. How about those manually entered PID channels that don't work? It'll be a breeze to make a change and load it up and try it again! Have fun!

A WORD OF WARNING: Your userdb file contains your router username and password and the username and password to any router you've connected to with your Super! Be careful who you give complete copies to unless you use throwaway passwords or guest accounts on your router.
Edit: You can go into Networking and delete the stored usernames and passwords too.

P.S. This will work if you make your server accessible from the internet and your friends can upgrade to your list too! You can also password protect it so that you can leave it up all the time if you're working together on a list or something.

Here is a PDF with info for other V8 models. You might try all lower case if the file names do not work. Good luck!
Attachments
ftp-how-to_pdf.zip
(37.76 KiB) Downloaded 421 times

zambudio

Post by zambudio »

I can not download the PDF file. Anybody know why i can not do it??

Thanks!!!

PALINHAS

Post by PALINHAS »

Good afternoon, I have freesat v8s with the latest firmware.
I am trying to configure the channel list update by ftp but always give me login error.
By computer I have access to ftp perfectly.
I'm also not sure of the firmware versions or the channel lists.
I attach the files to ftp.
Thank you for your help I would like this to work Thank you.
Attachments
FTP FRESATV8S.rar
(5.89 MiB) Downloaded 134 times

Bilalahmadrather

Post by Bilalahmadrather »

zambudio wrote:I can not download the PDF file. Anybody know why i can not do it??

Thanks!!!
sir what is user and password

Return to “GTMEDIA V8 SERIES”