V7S2X - observations

V7 TT Pro / V7S HD /V7 Plus/V7 S2X /V7PRO/ V7 TT

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

oldskoolsat

V7S2X - observations

Post by oldskoolsat »

V7S2X - review

I've now had time to test this receiver (running firmware v433).

I'm generally very happy with the performance & make the following observations.

1) The remote control is above average - having buttons that click when pushed, rather than soft rubber buttons.

2) Strange results when scanning Astra constellation at 28.2°E

I did a 'Full Scan' & then started to create a favourites list. However some of the channels I watch were not in the list. A few of the transponders had changed since the satellite data-base had been created (eg symbol rates up from 27,500 to 29,700), which I updated. I confirmed, from Lyngsat et al, that the missing channels still existed & sorted the list by transponder. There were no entries in the 12 GHz & above range (I think the last entry was about 11.6 GHz).

I deleted all the channels & started again, whilst watching the channels as they were found. Again above about 11.6 GHz no more channels were added, even though I could see the higher transponders being scanned.

I deleted the satellite entry, added a new one at 28.2°E with Universal LNB specs, & did a 'Blind Scan'. This found all the channels OK - or so I thought.

Having created the Favourites list OK I started to watch the channels. Some of them displayed 'No Signal'. Checking the transponder in the satellite list I noticed Signal Quality of 0%, & that the freqency was about 6 MHz out. I changed the frequency to that published online (ignoring possible errors of the LNB local oscillator) & the Quality immediately jumped to 80% & I got the channels I had wanted.

A study of other transponders showed frequency errors above AND below those published. Is this because the scan is being done too rapidly? Some of my older receivers give an option of Quick or Thorough scan.

3) Telstar12 15°W

Auto BISS worked very well

4) Eutelsat 5°W (the main reason for buying the V7S2X)

Displayed the French T2-MI channels I wanted.
The 4 RAI streams on 11,179V were all resolved OK.

5) Astra/SES 4.9°E

PowerVU keys found quickly on 12149 H & 12418 H.

6) Astra 19.2°E

Displays a lot of the French channels I wanted.

Tom.w
网站管理员

Re: V7S2X - observations

Post by Tom.w »

oldskoolsat wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:04 pm
V7S2X - review

I've now had time to test this receiver (running firmware v433).

I'm generally very happy with the performance & make the following observations.

1) The remote control is above average - having buttons that click when pushed, rather than soft rubber buttons.

2) Strange results when scanning Astra constellation at 28.2°E

I did a 'Full Scan' & then started to create a favourites list. However some of the channels I watch were not in the list. A few of the transponders had changed since the satellite data-base had been created (eg symbol rates up from 27,500 to 29,700), which I updated. I confirmed, from Lyngsat et al, that the missing channels still existed & sorted the list by transponder. There were no entries in the 12 GHz & above range (I think the last entry was about 11.6 GHz).

I deleted all the channels & started again, whilst watching the channels as they were found. Again above about 11.6 GHz no more channels were added, even though I could see the higher transponders being scanned.

I deleted the satellite entry, added a new one at 28.2°E with Universal LNB specs, & did a 'Blind Scan'. This found all the channels OK - or so I thought.

Having created the Favourites list OK I started to watch the channels. Some of them displayed 'No Signal'. Checking the transponder in the satellite list I noticed Signal Quality of 0%, & that the freqency was about 6 MHz out. I changed the frequency to that published online (ignoring possible errors of the LNB local oscillator) & the Quality immediately jumped to 80% & I got the channels I had wanted.

A study of other transponders showed frequency errors above AND below those published. Is this because the scan is being done too rapidly? Some of my older receivers give an option of Quick or Thorough scan.

3) Telstar12 15°W

Auto BISS worked very well

4) Eutelsat 5°W (the main reason for buying the V7S2X)

Displayed the French T2-MI channels I wanted.
The 4 RAI streams on 11,179V were all resolved OK.

5) Astra/SES 4.9°E

PowerVU keys found quickly on 12149 H & 12418 H.

6) Astra 19.2°E

Displays a lot of the French channels I wanted.
hello
about the 28.2E transponder offset 6M issue.
can you tell me more information,such as the transponder number,and H or V?
when you do blind scan another satellite with this LNB dish, how about the result?
Is it a fixed offset of 6M?

Edilberto

Post by Edilberto »

Boa avaliação, considerações importante para novos usuários como eu.
Obrigado.

Good review, important considerations for new users like me.
Thanks.

oldskoolsat

Post by oldskoolsat »

....can you tell me more information....
At the moment I've moved to 27.5°W, but will study the numbers later, & report back.

Can someone tell me how I can add images to my observations?

oldskoolsat

Post by oldskoolsat »

....can you tell me more information....
The 28.2°E & 19.2°E dishes are fixed, so I can't blind scan another satellite.

Now I look thru the transponders I can't remember which one I had to alter, but the pattern now seems to be:-

Below 11.7 GHz the V7S2X shows frequencies 4 MHz high &
Above 11.7 GHz 8 MHz high.
I can't find the one that was low - it's possible that I used one of the African transponders as a comparison in error.

I've just looked at one of my old receivers & the errors (with a Blind Scan) are 1 MHz & 2 MHZ high - but that could have been when the LNB was a different temperature.

It's possible that in the recent cold weather I switched to that dish, did a scan straight away & later when the LNB had warmed up (& hence the local oscillator may have drifted) the system was on the edge of locking up.

oldskoolsat

Post by oldskoolsat »

My impressions of the V7S2X continued

7) SES4 22°W

Auto BISS worked quickly.

8) Intelsat 901 + MEV1 27.5°W - BBC SatBack

Successfully resolved BBC SatBack on 11495V. All the TV except UTV & STV was decoded, but the Radio wasn't.
This feature isn't shown in the user manual or on the GT Media website specifications for this model, although it is hinted at elsewhere on this Forum.

Can anyone tell me what else this model is capable of, that isn't obvious from the published features? What else can be decoded, with & without an internet connection, using just the Firmware?

9) So far I've successfully scanned the following orbital slots:-

Astra 28.2°E
Astra 19.2°E
Eutel 16°E
Eutel 13°E
Eutel 9°E
Eutel 7°E
Astra 4.9°E
Bulgar 1.9°E
Thor/Intel 0.8°W
Eutel 5°W
Telstar 15°W
SES4 22°W
Intel 27.5°W
Hisparsat 30°W

.... with good results (mostly FTA):-

10) Other notes - including functions I've found by trial & error (not covered in the pdf manual)

Subtitles
on some channels they are a bit coarse & odd looking. The bitmap of characters needs to be more detailed & a font with descenders would make it more easily readable.
SubTitleFont_sml.JPG
SubTitleFont_sml.JPG (360.31 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
Music/Podcast etc audio Playback
Press 'Red' & navigate to the Folder where your audio is stored. Choose an item & press 'OK. Fast fwd/rewind is the same as video below.
To start a playlist go to your first item & press 'Fav'. Add more by repeating the process. Now if you press 'Yellow' you will see the whole list.
You can sort the folder in alphabetical order (up or down), by pressing 'Red'.

PVR Record & Playback
Record - Instant , whilst watching a programme - pressing 'Record' will start recording (for 2 hours), press again & you can set a custom time.
Record - Timer , (no EPG avaiable) - press 'Blue', choose an empty slot & enter the date & times.
" " , (with EPG) - highlight the programme & press 'Green'. Enter details as above. Only works with full EPG, not with 'now & next'.
Playback - press 'Yellow' (PVR). Unfortunately the recordings are listed in TV channel name alphabetical order rather than reverse date order.
This means you have to remember what you have recorded. (If the file name could be Date-Channel & not Channel-Date it would be easier to use).
Although this GUI has options for fast forward & rewind they don't seem to have been made available with buttons on the remote.
However some navigation is available by by pressing OK or Info & then pressing < or > (1 minute per push, or hold it down for continuous).
(It works faster if you Pause playback first).
Pressing OK twice displays the next 6 recordings (in alphbetical order) - in this mode the dates of the recordings are more invisible.
Page up/down works in this mode too.
PlaybackList_sml.JPG
PlaybackList_sml.JPG (429.13 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
Audio - decodes Dolby Digital plus (EAC3) OK on the French channels on 5°W.

Info - press twice to show programme summary (only if there's an EPG entry)

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

There are a few channels at 39e that you could try, which can be decoded with the V8X/V8UHD/V8 TURBO / V7 PRO, 12214/12482V 30000 Axn, Cartoon Network, keys built in. EPT1/2/3 12223/12241H 13381 which is good for F1, these are (Biss). 3E 12702/12720H 13960 Greek channels some in english again in (Biss), 7w a couple of film channels MBC 2 and Dubai One these are FTA.
The satellites that you have got cover most of what i can receive here in the West Midlands, i can get 45e to 30w.

Den

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

oldskoolsat wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:13 pm
My impressions of the V7S2X continued

7) SES4 22°W

Auto BISS worked quickly.

8) Intelsat 901 + MEV1 27.5°W - BBC SatBack

Successfully resolved BBC SatBack on 11495V. All the TV except UTV & STV was decoded, but the Radio wasn't.
This feature isn't shown in the user manual or on the GT Media website specifications for this model, although it is hinted at elsewhere on this Forum.

Can anyone tell me what else this model is capable of, that isn't obvious from the published features? What else can be decoded, with & without an internet connection, using just the Firmware?
You could use the channel editor on your PC and edit a TV channel so the APID for the radio channel you want is there instead on the TV's APID.
Note to keep this change from the channel auto update, you will also have to change the channel SID to one that is not used on that TP.
Then to make the decoding work you will have to add an extra line for that SID, unless you are using mgBISS or the like.

I have done this in the past to listen to radio with out the change to "Radio" list on the remote.
If you are lucky you can find a nice background "TV" channel.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

oldskoolsat

Post by oldskoolsat »

STRETCH wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:17 pm
... 39e that you could try, which can be decoded with the V8X/V8UHD/V8 TURBO / V7 PRO, 12214/12482V 30000 Axn, Cartoon Network, keys built in. EPT1/2/3 12223/12241H 13381 which is good for F1, these are (Biss). 3E 12702/12720H 13960 Greek channels some in english again in (Biss), 7w a couple of film channels MBC 2 and Dubai One these are FTA....
Thanks for that. I had 39°E on my list to check out - I watched F1 on RTL Deutschland last weekend, but they are only showing 4 races live this year. (Sky Sport News Deutschland HD had a highlights programme later in the evening). The adjacent houses roof ridge line might just allow 39°E. Thanks for the other suggestions too.

Pete

oldskoolsat

Post by oldskoolsat »

Feralkiwi wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:06 am

You could use the channel editor on your PC and edit a TV channel so the APID for the radio channel you want is there instead on the TV's APID.
Note to keep this change from the channel auto update, you will also have to change the channel SID to one that is not used on that TP.
Then to make the decoding work you will have to add an extra line for that SID, unless you are using mgBISS or the like.

I have done this in the past to listen to radio with out the change to "Radio" list on the remote.
If you are lucky you can find a nice background "TV" channel.

Owen
OK thanks, I'll get that ready & try it the next time I'm pointing that way. My current set-up is 2 small dishes in the garden & a 50 cm which I use for scanning. The 50 cm is indoors, but behind a tilting window, with quite a small aperture. Reception relies on the correct angle of the window, positioning of the dish for maximum illumination & little water vapour in the atmoshere. With summer coming I aim to put a few more dishes in the garden, which should make things more stable.

I've got 3 more 1m dishes which I hope to install, which should increase my capabilities, & may construct something bigger for C Band.

With the increasing output power of satellite TWT's, and reduction in the area of spot beams, it's amazing what one can get with even tiny dishes. A far cry from my first experience of a 42 foot dish in the late 1960's!
I was working on a system that could handle 1 (analogue) TV channel or 1023 telephone channels.

Thanks for your help,

Pete

oldskoolsat

Post by oldskoolsat »

I've now had a chance to test the 6 C Lines that were bundled with the receiver purchase.

They certainly opened up a whole bouquet of channels at 30°W. For now I've disabled them, whilst I sort out a VPN.

I've seen C Lines advertised 6,7 or 8 lines etc. Could someone explain what the advantage is of a greater number. As far as I can see they all point to the same server (but different Port numbers), so what exactly do they, individually, do?

Pete

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

Some of the channels at 30w will be the (Abertis) transponders (keys built in).
Just to let you know we have lost the few (irdeto 2) channels AXN etc at 39e.

Den

oldskoolsat

Post by oldskoolsat »

STRETCH wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:22 pm
Some of the channels at 30w will be the (Abertis) transponders (keys built in).
Just to let you know we have lost the few (irdeto 2) channels AXN etc at 39e.

Den
Thanks for that.
Weather permitting, this weekend, I'm going to try another dish at 39°E (to check out ERT) .

What about eff one at 30°W? Do any of the Spanish or Portuegese carry the GP's?

Pete

Edilberto

Post by Edilberto »

Hello everybody. I have a doubt, the 2x v7s opened irdeto, nagravison or only powerVu and Biss encryption channels?

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

Edilberto wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:25 am
Hello everybody. I have a doubt, the 2x v7s opened irdeto, nagravison or only powerVu and Biss encryption channels?
You are right

Cluster.One

Post by Cluster.One »

STRETCH wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:17 pm
There are a few channels at 39e that you could try, which can be decoded with the V8X/V8UHD/V8 TURBO / V7 PRO, 12214/12482V 30000 Axn, Cartoon Network, keys built in. EPT1/2/3 12223/12241H 13381 which is good for F1, these are (Biss). 3E 12702/12720H 13960 Greek channels some in english again in (Biss), 7w a couple of film channels MBC 2 and Dubai One these are FTA.
The satellites that you have got cover most of what i can receive here in the West Midlands, i can get 45e to 30w.

Den
First, I apologize if I intrude on the discussion that is not dedicated to the V8X

Hi Den

With my GT Media V8X I have black screen on EPT1/2/3 12223 Hellasat 39°E I only see ERT3 SD, all the others are on a black screen, the icon indicating the encryption system is not active, it does not turn blue

Do you confirm that you see them with GT Media V8X ?

The signal being received is excellent!

I see clearly all the channels discussed in the previous answers, French on 19° E BBC on 27.5° W and others mainly in Biss, the autobiss function also works fine.

The firmware version is: 21-04-2021

I haven't loaded any softcam, also because I don't know where to find the right one if needed, is it necessary?

Are the keys already included in the firmware ? the decoder is connected to the network.

I am not the latest arrival, I have some experience with satellite reception since 1985 ...

If you want, you can also reply to me privately:

Regards.

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

@ Cluster.One
Can confirm that i am seeing the said channels with the V8X / V8UHD / V7 PRO / V8 NOVA ORANGE / V8 TURBO receivers.
You may have to check with the (db editor)to see if you have got the (scambled channel) index set at (1), EPT 3 is (fta).

Den

Cluster.One

Post by Cluster.One »

STRETCH wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:09 am
@ Cluster.One
Can confirm that i am seeing the said channels with the V8X / V8UHD / V7 PRO / V8 NOVA ORANGE / V8 TURBO receivers.
You may have to check with the (db editor)to see if you have got the (scambled channel) index set at (1), EPT 3 is (fta).

Den
Thanks for the reply

It's not the first time that I have tried to see these channels but they were always on a black screen.
I downloaded the channels to USB and the scramble flag was on 0 I changed them to 1 with DB Editor.

You won't believe it but a strange thing has happened!

I turned the V8X back on and without doing anything, ie without loading the modified channel list, the channels are now showing. Mystery.

Regards.

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

The receiver would have found the keys, after you changed the scrambled flag.
Glad to hear that you are now sorted. e-mail sent.

Den

alex.c
网站管理员

Post by alex.c »

STRETCH wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:24 pm
The receiver would have found the keys, after you changed the scrambled flag.
Glad to hear that you are now sorted. e-mail sent.

Den
Probably you don't need to do that.
The new firmware can open the BISS channels without BISS indicator.

Return to “GTMEDIA V7 SERIES”