No puedo grabar / I can't record (V8 Nova Orange) more than 4GB

V8 NOVA / V8 HONOR / V8 PRO2/V8 UHD / V8X

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

wonder

Re: No puedo grabar / I can't record (V8 Nova Orange) more than 4GB

Post by wonder »

Zorin wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:57 am
I don't wanna wait for months till this issues get solved (if ever). They are real dealbreakers for me and if I had known about these satellite receivers what I know today, I wouldn't have bought them. I'll keep the V7S HD because it is a nice, fast litte receiver for just watching TV and good enough for the fourth TV in the house (the 4GB-recording bug exists also on the V7S). The V8 will end up as a gift for a charity auction or something like that and the chapter GTMedia will soon be closed for me...
That's what I thought a few weeks ago.
This will be a gift for someone, for me, I will look for one that PVR is confirmed works well ...
Happy New Year!

legata

Post by legata »

sabeis si el V9 tiene el mismo problema con las grabaciones.

Zorin

Post by Zorin »

Sorry, I don't know if the V9 has the same problems with recordings. I can only confirm it for the Nova V8 and the V7S.

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

Recuerden que esta es la seccion para el V8 Series. Pueden seguir sus comentarios pero en la seccion del V9 Super

redek77

Post by redek77 »

Bravo, bravissimo, big applause for GT Media Team. They fix record problem in new firmware (13/02/2020)

Zorin

Post by Zorin »

@ redek77
Thank you for the info! I'll update tomorrow! Finally some good news regarding the recording-functions ...

A big, big thank you to the firmware-devolopers from my side too for fixing this annoying problem. 5 thumbs up for that!!!

PS: It would be nice to add such important changes/corrections/bugfixes to the changelog.

wonder

Post by wonder »

Fantastic news, I had not updated the firmware since this thread started, the rest worked fine for me, but the main thing, the recording issue did not work and as it was not corrected in firm updates, I have not updated.

I read and I am very pleasantly surprised by this information !!

Tomorrow I update without fail, if corrected, my congratulations to the support team! A deco like this, must have the basic recording function correctly.

I reiterate, if corrected, my huge congratulations and as the partner says, it is good to add it to the list of corrections in the updates updates logs of firm :)

Zorin

Post by Zorin »

Well, I have to say I'm disappointed and a bit confused apparantly... :?

Updated to firmware 02/2020 early this morning and tried to record a few "Terra X" episodes from ZDFinfoHD for a first test. (ZDFInfoHD is a german documentary channel in HD with very high bitrates). Usually one Banned Word is about 4,5 - 5,5GB. I expected the recordings to work fine this morning, but three out of three failed with exactly the same symptoms as before.

- The satellite receiver creates only one 3,99GB file correctly, the second ts-file is very small (a few hundred kbs) and broken/corrupt as usual
- Every recordings above 3,99GB fails as before - no changes at all on my device (Nova V8 blue)
- Double entries for just one recording are created as before
- Resume and timejumps don't work (as before)

From what I can tell the recording-function is still heavily broken and I see no improvement at all. Meanwhile I even doubt it there were any changes and maybe that is the reason why the changelog doesn't mention anything. I don't understand why this annoying problem still exists and nothing is done to fix it. Now & next in the infobar also the same behavior as before - it pretty much never works. EPG loads very slow, but the most important thing - Youtube is fixed. Unbelievable... Seems nothing else matters...

Since the problem exists at least since 8 months I guess it is not very far-fetched to say nobody at GTMedia cares to fix this.
Last edited by Zorin on Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

wonder

Post by wonder »

I was just going to start updating the firmware now, but after reading the comments, I was totally discouraged ... I guess I will update it to test but ... I was surprised that they had fixed this problem and in the firmware update log was not indicated ...
So, totally discouraged and ... instead of updating it now as a priority today, I will leave it for later.
If youtube was fixed, fine, but for me specifically, the recording and timeshift function is much more important than youtube ...
So, totally discouraged ...

Regards.

Zorin

Post by Zorin »

@ wonder

Very unlikely maybe, but is it a possibility that the recording issue is fixed on the Nova V8 orange and not the Nova V8 blue?

This is really getting ridiculous and GT Media still advertises these satellite receivers as PVR ready...

wonder

Post by wonder »

@zorin:

True, you have the blue one and I have the orange one, now I will try updating firmware, as soon as I have done it, I test and post results.

But if so, that in resolved orange and not in blue .... it is not right that is not ...

garcy

Post by garcy »

redek77 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:53 am
Bravo, bravissimo, big applause for GT Media Team. They fix record problem in new firmware (13/02/2020)
Hi, I updated the firmware today and it still fails. How did you get it?

garcy

Post by garcy »

Buenas. ¿Alguien ha actualizado y le funciona la grabación mas allá de los 4gb? Yo le he metido el de febrero de 2020 y sigue igual. Espero que saquen una actualizacion que lo arregle.

garcy

Post by garcy »

cpr43 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:53 pm
Recuerden que esta es la seccion para el V8 Series. Pueden seguir sus comentarios pero en la seccion del V9 Super
El nuevo firmware de febrero de 2020 sigue sin solucionar el problema de las grabaciones. En los canales "premium" se corta a los 4gb de tamaño, en los FTA no. Hagan el favor de arreglar este gran fallo. Hemos comprado un producto de su marca y no realiza las funciones que dicen. Estoy decepcionado.

wonder

Post by wonder »

Zorin wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:13 am
@ wonder

Very unlikely maybe, but is it a possibility that the recording issue is fixed on the Nova V8 orange and not the Nova V8 blue?

This is really getting ridiculous and GT Media still advertises these satellite receivers as PVR ready...
At the moment I can't update the firmware, others problems in my house have my time (I need reconfigured one router well, reconfigured and update firmware) in this days of this week I go to upgrade firm in the gtmedia, but I read to others replies that, not solved this issue.... :?

Vienna550

Post by Vienna550 »

Zorin wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:07 am

- The satellite receiver creates only one 3,99GB file correctly, the second ts-file is very small (a few hundred kbs) and broken/corrupt as usual
- Every recording above 3,99GB fails as before - no changes at all on my device (Nova V8 blue)

From what I can tell the recording-function is still heavily broken and I see no improvement at all. Meanwhile I even doubt it there were any changes and maybe that is the reason why the changelog doesn't mention anything. I don't understand why this annoying problem still exists and nothing is done to fix it. Now & next in the infobar also the same behavior as before - it pretty much never works. EPG loads very slow, but the most important thing - Youtube is fixed. Unbelievable... Seems nothing else matters...

Since the problem exists at least since 8 months I guess it is not very far-fetched to say nobody at GTMedia cares to fix this.
More than a year since the above issue exists and it is still exactly the same with the latest firmware from the 18.08.2020.
Any chance that this will ever be fixed?
Could finally someone from the GTMedia-team say something about this?
Does the newer V8X-model record larger files correctly or does it suffer from the same annoying bug?

Thank you!

alex.c
网站管理员

Post by alex.c »

Vienna550 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:23 am
Zorin wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:07 am

- Every recording above 3,99GB fails as before - no changes at all on my device (Nova V8 blue)

More than a year since the above issue exists and it is still exactly the same with the latest firmware from the 18.08.2020.
Any chance that this will ever be fixed?
Could finally someone from the GTMedia-team say something about this?
Does the newer V8X-model record larger files correctly or does it suffer from the same annoying bug?

Thank you!
Yes, we already know this bug.
And it works correctly when we test it.
So did you try to use a FAT32 file system?

Rob2020

Post by Rob2020 »

My experience: there are several sat boxes different brands with PVR recording problems, even GTmedia, I have a V8x with recordings that stops before time, you can read it in its section, I had a V8 Nova Orange that worked great with recordings several years ago until it stopped working (I still have it in a box), also I have a V9 super that works great with PVR but it has an old firmware, of course I don´t want to update it because it may begin to fail, so the problem could be fixed with a new firmware, it´s up to the tech team.

I´ll post about the new V8X firmware 20200910 when I have tested it.

Vienna550

Post by Vienna550 »

alex.c wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:20 am
Thank you for your response and help alex.c! It is much appreciated!

I have to say in all the time I have never tried to use FAT32. I'm using a 2TB harddrive with an NTFS-filesystem. Lots and lots of mediafiles on it with the usual PVRS-folder for recordings. For testing purposes I created a small, separate partition formatted in FAT32. Fortunately the Nova V8 can handle more than one partition on one hard drive without problems.

001.jpg
001.jpg (48.92 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

Set drive "D" to use for recordings and did a first test. This time I was very positively suprised - the Nova V8 recorded the program fine, the necessary second ts-file was correctly written:

002.jpg
002.jpg (178.67 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

I also noticed the harddrive was a lot less noisy when recording on a FAT32-filesystem. That was finally a big step forward. Nonetheless there are still some minor issues which should be corrected:

003.jpg
003.jpg (69.9 KiB) Viewed 3366 times

- Double entries in PVR/Recordings-tab are still created for just one recording
- Only the first 4GB file can be played from the PVR/Recordings-tab

Both files play fine in "mediaplayer-mode".That is quite an easy workaround, but it would be a nice bonus if this could be fixed to work correctly too. One thing I noticed: Other satellite-receivers with the same chipset put every recording in a separate folder, the Nova V8 puts them all in root. No idea if this has anything to do with it...

I didn't think that the NTFS-filesystem would be the culprit here. Using FAT32 seems to have solved the issue - maybe that should be added to the "PVR ready-feature". Please use FAT32, because with NTFS you'll end up with a lot of broken, unusable recordings.

PS: One last thing: It would be nice if the Nova V8 would turn itself off after a timer-recording.

@ Rob2020

Thank you for your feedback! I think I know exactly what you mean. For many years I've owned plenty of different satellite receivers. Some of them Linux-based, some of them even quite expensive. Always looking for the perfect device that does everything perfect till I quickly realized that such a device doesn't exist. There will always be bugs - I think it's inevitable. More complexity, more features are nice things. But when every few days, every week a plugin breaks something, an update messes up everything, it gets really annoying and of course it is very time-consuming.

In the end I just wanted a simple device that offers just a bit more than what basic DVB-S in modern TV's does. Connect to my local oscam-server on my Fritzbox, do some recordings now and then and a good mediaplayer. The Nova V8 offers all of that and the price is dirt cheap - you'll get a lot of value for your money. It's a fast, quite stable satellite receiver with a good picture-quality. Especially the mediaplayer is excellent, plays almost everything, correct aspect ratio, everything perfect - so far no problems at all. Recently I did some testing with IPTV and the V8 handles IPTV-streams quite well too.

The only major issue I had was the recording issue with files larger than 4GB. Luckily for me there seems to be an easy workaround now. I don't expect the V8X to behave differently in this aspect than the V8, but if you find some time to test it, it would be interesting. At least we would know for sure and thanks a lot in advance for your efforts!

alex.c
网站管理员

Post by alex.c »

Vienna550 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:48 pm
alex.c wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:20 am
Thank you for your response and help alex.c! It is much appreciated!

I have to say in all the time I have never tried to use FAT32. I'm using a 2TB harddrive with an NTFS-filesystem. Lots and lots of mediafiles on it with the usual PVRS-folder for recordings. For testing purposes I created a small, separate partition formatted in FAT32. Fortunately the Nova V8 can handle more than one partition on one hard drive without problems.

001.jpg

Set drive "D" to use for recordings and did a first test. This time I was very positively suprised - the Nova V8 recorded the program fine, the necessary second ts-file was correctly written:

002.jpg

I also noticed the harddrive was a lot less noisy when recording on a FAT32-filesystem. That was finally a big step forward. Nonetheless there are still some minor issues which should be corrected:

003.jpg

- Double entries in PVR/Recordings-tab are still created for just one recording
- Only the first 4GB file can be played from the PVR/Recordings-tab

Both files play fine in "mediaplayer-mode".That is quite an easy workaround, but it would be a nice bonus if this could be fixed to work correctly too. One thing I noticed: Other satellite-receivers with the same chipset put every recording in a separate folder, the Nova V8 puts them all in root. No idea if this has anything to do with it...

I didn't think that the NTFS-filesystem would be the culprit here. Using FAT32 seems to have solved the issue - maybe that should be added to the "PVR ready-feature". Please use FAT32, because with NTFS you'll end up with a lot of broken, unusable recordings.

PS: One last thing: It would be nice if the Nova V8 would turn itself off after a timer-recording.

@ Rob2020

Thank you for your feedback! I think I know exactly what you mean. For many years I've owned plenty of different satellite receivers. Some of them Linux-based, some of them even quite expensive. Always looking for the perfect device that does everything perfect till I quickly realized that such a device doesn't exist. There will always be bugs - I think it's inevitable. More complexity, more features are nice things. But when every few days, every week a plugin breaks something, an update messes up everything, it gets really annoying and of course it is very time-consuming.

In the end I just wanted a simple device that offers just a bit more than what basic DVB-S in modern TV's does. Connect to my local oscam-server on my Fritzbox, do some recordings now and then and a good mediaplayer. The Nova V8 offers all of that and the price is dirt cheap - you'll get a lot of value for your money. It's a fast, quite stable satellite receiver with a good picture-quality. Especially the mediaplayer is excellent, plays almost everything, correct aspect ratio, everything perfect - so far no problems at all. Recently I did some testing with IPTV and the V8 handles IPTV-streams quite well too.

The only major issue I had was the recording issue with files larger than 4GB. Luckily for me there seems to be an easy workaround now. I don't expect the V8X to behave differently in this aspect than the V8, but if you find some time to test it, it would be interesting. At least we would know for sure and thanks a lot in advance for your efforts!
Thanks friend.
You did a really great job.
There are some compatibility issues when the file system is NTFS.
We will improve it on V8X.
And the two minor issues your mentioned already fixed, and we will fix it on V8 nova.

Vienna550

Post by Vienna550 »

Great! Thank you very much for your time & help and for improving the firmware of your satellite-receivers!

Vienna550

Post by Vienna550 »

Well, meanwhile we have the 07. Nov. 2021, more than a year later. Looks like nothing has been fixed regarding the pvr-functions on the Nova V8. With the latest firmware (05082021) even the FAT32-workaround doesn't work any longer. The box stops now at 3,99GB and doesn't create a second file, doesn't matter now if it is recording on a NTFS or FAT32-filesystem. Means you can't record anything above 45-50 mins in HD and above that every recording is completely broken.

Please release a firmware for the Nova V8 that fixes this issues - it is about time and no more empty promises please!

gtuser2023

Post by gtuser2023 »

Hi, I have the same problem with my GT Media X8 Combo.
When recording something that needs more than 4GB of storage, the recording stops c.a. 45 minutes.
In the resulting files I can see that the first file is 4GB, and it appears that the device is trying to continue recording in subsequent file, but it fails, as the second file is several hundred KB only.

I am running V.3.2.88.9.286 version (dated 09/09/2021)
Is there any workaround for this ? (or a fix preferably)

Is there any newer update of the firmware that fixes this issue ?

Best Regards,
M.

Return to “GTMEDIA V8 SERIES”