V8Nova Blue, fixed my freezing issue.

V8 NOVA / V8 HONOR / V8 PRO2/V8 UHD / V8X

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

moltar

V8Nova Blue, fixed my freezing issue.

Post by moltar »

One of my V8Nova Blues started to act up the other day. This particular unit is left on most of the time and I have had it for 10 months now.
The video froze and the remote was non responsive. After a power cycle it would be fine for a few minutes then freeze again.
After changing transponders and satellites I would have the same result. OK so now its the box.
After leaving it off for a while it would run a bit longer then freeze again.
I opened the cover and inspected the electrolytic caps looking for some leakage or bulging, they all looked fine but you just never know.
Not having an ESR or leakage tester I moved on.
With the cover off it took even longer for it to freeze.
AH! a heat issue.
The heat sink on the processor was quite hot, hmmm.

I'm in the middle of restoring a Pioneer SX780 receiver vintage 1979, I have a few 8 ohm 100w load resistors laying around, the ones that are heatsinked with fins. Figured it would make a good heatsink so I grabbed one of those and placed it on top of the existing heatsink to give me more surface area for heat dissipation.
No more freezing, its been on for 2 solid days now. I ordered a few larger heatsinks from ebay.
I think what might have happened is the heat from the processor loosened the glue on the stickon heatsink and now is not making a good thermal connection.
I will be replacing the original one, this should prevent this from happening again.

Remember if you open up your receiver you will void your warranty, like I did, but at such a good price for these units I had no problem with this.
YMMV

Captain Ron

Re: V8Nova Blue, fixed my freezing issue.

Post by Captain Ron »

Good stuff Moltar

I have kept a cooling pad with USB powered fans under my V8 Nova Orange since it was new blowing cool air up into it and its been almost 2 years and still running great!

Keeping their internal parts cool does help them last longer.

:D

moltar

Post by moltar »

I was also thinking of getting a 24vdc fan, yes 24v, I know the wall wart is 12vdc, but if I use a 24vdc fan it will spin at half speed so nice and quiet with a gentle airflow.

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron »

moltar wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 pm
I was also thinking of getting a 24vdc fan, yes 24v, I know the wall wart is 12vdc, but if I use a 24vdc fan it will spin at half speed so nice and quiet with a gentle airflow.
I bought a small tablet cooler (approx 10" by 12" ) that runs off (USB 5vdc) plugged into the back of my Orange) and it only runs when the V8 Novza Orange is running.

Got it for about $15 on Amazon a couple years ago, it has two fans and I cannot hear the fans at all but 2 years and both still run and I can feel the air flowing up around and through my Receiver.

Good Luck ! :D

moltar

Post by moltar »

Nice, I'll check that out!

Return to “GTMEDIA V8 SERIES”