V8 combo

V8 NOVA / V8 HONOR / V8 PRO2/V8 UHD / V8X

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

rotewand

V8 combo

Post by rotewand »

hi everyone, i have a problem with openbox v8 combo, i can no longer update it with flash.bin power + menu file quickly.
the decoder starts normally but when I press the menu button everything stops. I tried several usb sticks formatted in fat32 same result
I tried stbtool 1.8 but it gives me this error
Cannot start the specified application. The configuration of the side-by-side mode of the application is not correct.
I don't know what to do anymore. Help is fat
Thank you

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Re: V8 combo

Post by Feralkiwi »

You normally only use flash.bin to recover a crashed unit.
Is your unit crashed and not starting for you to use the menus?

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

rotewand

Post by rotewand »

My unit is not locked, it starts regularly, but if I press the menu button on the remote control, everything freezes .. of course I use flash.bin for the reset, but the upgrade does not start, I have tried several usb keys to no avail, all this is success after channel tuning.
When turned on everything is ok with the remote control except if I press the menu button that blocks the decoder
Sbtool 1.8 does not start with the error described in the first post, ... I know that there is sbrool 1.8 fixed on the net, but I can't find it ...
Solutions? Thanks for support

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

I assume you are using the .bin file, not the .zip?

Are you using the original remote that came with the unit?
Have you tried older versions of the software?

RS232 may be a way for you.
Here is a link to my notes on rs232.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

rotewand

Post by rotewand »

this all happened right after I did the channel tuning

rotewand

Post by rotewand »

in projet type what should i put for my v8 combo

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Check that you are doing flash.bin correctly.
You should see the LED on the USB flashing as it loads the software.

flash.bin recovery is done like this.

Place a copy of the unpacked software (the .bin file) on a USB stick and rename it "flash.bin"
With the USB in the unit, power on while repeat pressing "Menu" on the remote.
The unit should reload the software.

Also other users say that you must use a USB stick, not a card holder etc and that stick must be 32Gb or under.
Use the rear USB port on units that have two ports.

I have had units that will not recover.
Try using the same software as was in the unit when it crashed, not the new update software.
You must use the correct software, ie that for the V7HD for the V7HD etc, not software for any other freesat units.

Try even older software as the file for flash.bin.

Look at the LED in the USB stick. When the TV shows the message "USB Upgrade, do not turn off" you should see the LED on the USB flash as the file is loaded.
The USB LED should also flash a few times as the unit first powers on and looks at it.
Also users have said to use the rear USB port for this on V8 units.

Good luck

New information: Users are reporting that naming the file "Flash.bin" with a capital has worked where "flash.bin" has not.

Owen

rotewand

Post by rotewand »

The decoder has only one usb which is frontal, I renamed the file from flash.bin to Flash.bin without result, the upgrade does not start and it restarts normally and I see all the channels, if I press the menu key to enter to upgrade the decoder stops with this writing:
SEE check failed! The box will stop working. Please contact your
this problem gave me as soon as I did the channel search
without any channel I normally entered the menu
Is it possible to delete channels or send an empty list?
Thank you

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

I assume you have a Freesat openbox V8 Combo?

I will look to find my old software version for this and you can try the flash.bin with older versions.

Owen

rotewand

Post by rotewand »

yes yes, it is an openbox v8 combo with lan port and a front usb
I tried to download stbtool 1.8 but the program does not start it gives me an error

mikelsat

Post by mikelsat »

rotewand wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:46 am
if I press the menu button on the remote control, everything freezes
Just wondering if you press the MENU button on the front panel does the same thing happen.

I found this description online of flash.bin recovery for the V8 combo.
"Change the name of the software file (OPENBOX_V8COMBO_V3.6.196.bin) to flash.bin
Write it in the root of the USB memory stick FAT32 formated.
Unplug the power jack from the rear panel. Hold the MENU button from the front panel and in the same time plug in the power jack on the rear panel. On the screen you will have the next message. USB upgrade,do not power off".

I recently recovered a V8 Golden using the flash.bin method. In Windows I renamed the file "flash" as it's already shown as a bin file.
It could be very confusing for anyone using windows 10 to keep saying - rename the file flash.bin

Windows 10
Attachments
v8 Golden screenshot Windows 10 - 1.jpg
v8 Golden screenshot Windows 10 - 1.jpg (25.8 KiB) Viewed 1407 times

rotewand

Post by rotewand »

tried many times but it doesn't work thanks

Return to “GTMEDIA V8 SERIES”