Improvements to V8UHD

V8 NOVA / V8 HONOR / V8 PRO2/V8 UHD / V8X

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

suduman

Improvements to V8UHD

Post by suduman »

I have been using my V8UHD and V9 super time to time last week and I noticed the following. Signal levels of V8UHD is lower than V9. I'm viewing some sat channels which is out of our footprint and the signal strength is minimum at night. I noticed that when V8 was struggling V9 was working. So I wonder why it was like that. I believe V8UHD tuner is more powerful than V9. Can this be a software related issue.
Another one is related to UI. Please change V8UHD WebTV info bar as same as Xtreme info bar. The current WebTV info bar display nearly half of the screen.

radjur

Re: Improvements to V8UHD

Post by radjur »

my V8UHD have same issue, around 30% less signal than other receivers
anyway, make sure you have selected LNB Universal(9750-10600) in Antena Setup
other values of LNB will not scan all channels!!

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron »

All brands of FTA Receivers have that issue where one receiver will be more or less sensitive than another model and that is mostly because different parts are used (they use different model tuners in different receivers, etc). The V8UHD also uses a dual tuner setup to do SD/HD and also for UHD4K so that may be part of the reason it is less sensitive.

Its not normally a software issue.

Not sure if they are still around but there used to be satellite signal boosters that a person could buy that you install near the LNB, it uses some of the 13-18vdc power going to the LNB to amplify the satellite signal going to the receiver. Installing one of those may help, they were made to boost the signal (approximately 20db gain) on long runs of coax (over 100-200 feet) as the longer the coax run the more some signal is lost.

Good Luck! :)

suduman

Post by suduman »

Captain Ron, Thank you for the tip. I should search for signal booster.

evarese

Post by evarese »

Please remember that the most important parameter is the quality, not the strenght of the signal! Any booster increases the strenght, obviously not the quality, and often this fact is a disadvantage...
GTCombo - V8 UHD - V8 Finder - V8 Finder2 - 90 cm motorized dish

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron »

evarese wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:54 am
Please remember that the most important parameter is the quality, not the strenght of the signal! Any booster increases the strenght, obviously not the quality, and often this fact is a disadvantage...
But what they are talking about is a weak TP where the V8-UHD doesn't get the TP to come in at all and so there is no quality to get! ---- zero signal = zero quality -------- His V9super barely pulls in the TP but his V8UHD does not.

A satellite amp/booster might help it come in or it might not, they aren't that expensive and if it does not work he can possibly return the item for a refund. Something else that might be worth checking out is the tuning of the dish and LNB but that doesn't change the fact that the V8UHD is not as sensitive as some other GTmedia receivers (other people here have said this before).

ghani Ajja

Post by ghani Ajja »

Captain Ron wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:41 pm
All brands of FTA Receivers have that issue where one receiver will be more or less sensitive than another model and that is mostly because different parts are used (they use different model tuners in different receivers, etc). The V8UHD also uses a dual tuner setup to do SD/HD and also for UHD4K so that may be part of the reason it is less sensitive.

Its not normally a software issue.

Not sure if they are still around but there used to be satellite signal boosters that a person could buy that you install near the LNB, it uses some of the 13-18vdc power going to the LNB to amplify the satellite signal going to the receiver. Installing one of those may help, they were made to boost the signal (approximately 20db gain) on long runs of coax (over 100-200 feet) as the longer the coax run the more some signal is lost.

Good Luck! :)
sorry, what is a signal amplifier like ?? there are photos ?? thank you

betnar93

Post by betnar93 »

Captain Ron wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:36 pm
evarese wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:54 am
But what they are talking about is a weak TP where the V8-UHD doesn't get the TP to come in at all and so there is no quality to get! ---- zero signal = zero quality -------- His V9super barely pulls in the TP but his V8UHD does not.

A satellite amp/booster might help it come in or it might not, they aren't that expensive and if it does not work he can possibly return the item for a refund. Something else that might be worth checking out is the tuning of the dish and LNB but that doesn't change the fact that the V8UHD is not as sensitive as some other GTmedia receivers (other people here have said this before).
The Booster will amplify the signal and the noise. It will not improve quality. That is what is important with modern digital satellite signals. C/N ratio. The signal boosters worked great for analog signals. But with digital, main focus should be perfect dish alignment and quality LNBs.

suduman

Post by suduman »

My dish is aligned to optimal position. Fact is the sat beam is not within our footprint but possible to get it with 120cm or above Ku dish.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

ghani Ajja wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:22 am
Search google using "satellite signal amp".

If your dish is not good a booster does not help with quality as that is corrupted by the dish first.
These high SR TP's have a lot of data and a large off set ku dish (1.2m) means the signal that takes the short route to the LNB gets there a lot earlier than the signal that takes the long route off the top of the dish.
Amplifying that mess does not help, I have tried.

I got good use from a signal amp with the older signals (low SR) on C band dishes.

Always worth a try.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron »

The only reason I brought up the Satellite Amp/Booster is because its cheap and if it doesn't help you can probably send it back for a refund and not be out any money, a dish amp/booster should never be used for trying to mask damaged or old equipment. They also do work for FTA - some i've seen for sale claim they are for boosting pay satellite like Directv, Dishnet, etc so they should work for Digital not just Analog as one person claimed.

Feralkiwi was correct in pointing out there are other ways to try to get a better signal like fixing or replacing a damaged dish or (tuning your dish and LNB) is free but if you know the dish and LNB are in good shape and well tuned then its about as good as its going to get.

Things you can do that can get you more signal but cost more money.
Amp/Booster - $10-20 US - Needs to be installed near the LNB
If your coax is old or has splices from being cut you probably need to replace it - 100ft RG6 Coax $50 - 100. US
Buy a high quality LNB that is more sensitive than the one you already own - $100-200 US
If your dish is damaged or you need more signal - (Buy a bigger Dish) - $1000 - 2000 US

Some other ways you can lose signal - (Not including a known issue like a damaged dish or out of tune)

Cable Loss: This is for new Coax, if yours is old or been repaired/spliced it probably loses more dB.
RG59 Coax – 10 dB loss per hundred feet.
RG6 Coax Cable – 6 dB loss per hundred feet.

Splitter Loss:
8-Way Splitter – 12 dB.
3 and 4-Way Splitter – 8 dB.
2-Way Splitter – 4 dB.
It should be noted that the dB loss for a splitter holds true even if some of the ports are not used.

ghani Ajja

Post by ghani Ajja »

Feralkiwi wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:19 pm
ghani Ajja wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:22 am
Search google using "satellite signal amp".

If your dish is not good a booster does not help with quality as that is corrupted by the dish first.
These high SR TP's have a lot of data and a large off set ku dish (1.2m) means the signal that takes the short route to the LNB gets there a lot earlier than the signal that takes the long route off the top of the dish.
Amplifying that mess does not help, I have tried.

I got good use from a signal amp with the older signals (low SR) on C band dishes.

Always worth a try.

Owen
Thank you for your information
Best regards

ghani Ajja

Post by ghani Ajja »

Captain Ron wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:33 am
The only reason I brought up the Satellite Amp/Booster is because its cheap and if it doesn't help you can probably send it back for a refund and not be out any money, a dish amp/booster should never be used for trying to mask damaged or old equipment. They also do work for FTA - some i've seen for sale claim they are for boosting pay satellite like Directv, Dishnet, etc so they should work for Digital not just Analog as one person claimed.

Feralkiwi was correct in pointing out there are other ways to try to get a better signal like fixing or replacing a damaged dish or (tuning your dish and LNB) is free but if you know the dish and LNB are in good shape and well tuned then its about as good as its going to get.

Things you can do that can get you more signal but cost more money.
Amp/Booster - $10-20 US - Needs to be installed near the LNB
If your coax is old or has splices from being cut you probably need to replace it - 100ft RG6 Coax $50 - 100. US
Buy a high quality LNB that is more sensitive than the one you already own - $100-200 US
If your dish is damaged or you need more signal - (Buy a bigger Dish) - $1000 - 2000 US

Some other ways you can lose signal - (Not including a known issue like a damaged dish or out of tune)

Cable Loss: This is for new Coax, if yours is old or been repaired/spliced it probably loses more dB.
RG59 Coax – 10 dB loss per hundred feet.
RG6 Coax Cable – 6 dB loss per hundred feet.

Splitter Loss:
8-Way Splitter – 12 dB.
3 and 4-Way Splitter – 8 dB.
2-Way Splitter – 4 dB.
It should be noted that the dB loss for a splitter holds true even if some of the ports are not used.
Thank you for your information
Best regards

Return to “GTMEDIA V8 SERIES”