My V8 UHD does not start after upgrading firmware

V8 NOVA / V8 HONOR / V8 PRO2/V8 UHD / V8X

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

h.rendon@esesa.com

My V8 UHD does not start after upgrading firmware

Post by h.rendon@esesa.com »

Hello Guys,

Good evening!

I just tried to upgrade the software on my new V8 UHD deco, serial number V8UC2008002302. I downloaded the GTMEDIA V8UHD Firmware (07/04/2021). Once downloaded, my deco shown an error message like "ERR1" and then the letters UPG. It has stayed like that since. I turn it off and on several times, but it reads BOOT, ERR1, and UPG and stays like that forever...

I am going to leave it plugged in all night. But I think something must be wrong...

What can I do to get my deco working again? Could you please help me?

Thanks in advance for your time and support,
Mr. Hernan Rendon.
h.rendon@esesa.com

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Re: My V8 UHD does not start after upgrading firmware

Post by Feralkiwi »

Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

h.rendon@esesa.com

Hello Owen,

Good morning! Thanks for your promt reply and piece of advice. Sorry for my delayed reply. I only have time during the weekend to play with my satelite dishes...

I tried "Force Upgrade" but it seems not to be working. I pressed and held the menu key on my remote, turned on deco with USB drive in. I renamed lastest V8 UHD firmware to jump.bin and all. But my deco display reads Boot, Err1, UP9 and stays like that no matter how long I press and hold the menu botton for... I repeated the drill pressing and holding the menu botton for 15, 30, 60 seconds and then releasing it and still my TV does not receive any signal and the deco display keeps showing UP9...

May I be doing something wrong? Is there an specific firmaware I need to download for the Force Upgrade method? For how long should I press the menu botton? It does not say. Should I change the name of the firmware to jump.bin?

Thanks again for your great help and support. You are the only one who has responded to my help messages.

Hernan.

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

h.rendon@esesa.com wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:29 pm
Hello Owen,

Good morning! Thanks for your promt reply and piece of advice. Sorry for my delayed reply. I only have time during the weekend to play with my satelite dishes...

I tried "Force Upgrade" but it seems not to be working. I pressed and held the menu key on my remote, turned on deco with USB drive in. I renamed lastest V8 UHD firmware to jump.bin and all. But my deco display reads Boot, Err1, UP9 and stays like that no matter how long I press and hold the menu botton for... I repeated the drill pressing and holding the menu botton for 15, 30, 60 seconds and then releasing it and still my TV does not receive any signal and the deco display keeps showing UP9...

May I be doing something wrong? Is there an specific firmaware I need to download for the Force Upgrade method? For how long should I press the menu botton? It does not say. Should I change the name of the firmware to jump.bin?

Thanks again for your great help and support. You are the only one who has responded to my help messages.

Hernan.
File should be rename to flash or Flash so it ends as flash.bin or Flash.bin. Not jump.bin

Also the menu the menu key needs to be pressing and releasing many time not keeping hold. A small size USB (2gb, 4gb...) since to work better

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

If it ends in UP9 then it is in the software update screen.
That is in default PAL TV output.
You should see a screen like in these posts.
In that screen you can choose and load software.

You may find a way in that info.
Also the renamed file should be flash.bin not jump.bin

I also found lately that if you repeat press the power button on the remote the unit will enter UP9 screen.
I can clear this by powering off /on at the power cable.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

h.rendon@esesa.com

Hello Owen,

Thanks for your great help and reply.

We don't use PAL but NTSC system here. That is probably why I don't see anything on my TV set... It says "Without Signal" on my TV screen... If you know a way around it, please let me know. Maybe the solution is closer than we think...

Sorry, I meant flash.bin. My mistake!

One thing that confuses me, though; is that "Err1" message... Why when turning V8 UHD box on, display says: "Boot, Err1, UP9"? That "Err1" message is what makes me think something is not right...

I will try Force Upgrade through USB using an older firmware version to see what happens... Otherwise, I will have no other choice than to use Serial Port Force Upgrade to see if I can revive my box.

Thanks and best regards,
Hernan.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Here are my notes on forced upgrade.

Also try with the LNB cable disconnected too.

Owen

flash.bin recovery is done like this.

Place a copy of the unpacked software (the .bin file) on a USB stick and rename it "flash.bin"
With the USB in the unit, power on while repeat pressing "Menu" on the remote.
The unit should reload the software.

Also other users say that you must use a USB stick, not a card holder etc and that stick must be 32Gb or under.
Use the rear USB port on units that have two ports.

I have had units that will not recover.
Try using the same software as was in the unit when it crashed, not the new update software.
You must use the correct software, ie that for the V7HD for the V7HD etc, not software for any other freesat units.

Try even older software as the file for flash.bin.

Look at the LED in the USB stick. When the TV shows the message "USB Upgrade, do not turn off" you should see the LED on the USB flash as the file is loaded.
The USB LED should also flash a few times as the unit first powers on and looks at it.
Also users have said to use the rear USB port for this on V8 units.

Good luck

New information: Users are reporting that naming the file "Flash.bin" with a capital has worked where "flash.bin" has not. This is with the Nova units mostly.

gotti78

Post by gotti78 »

Hello guys.
I have the same problem with GTMedia V8 UHD 4K purchased 2 days ago. While the firmware was being updated it was restarted interrupting self the process. Now on the screen appears the same error boot -> ERRI -> UP9. With this screen status there is no way to enter the boot menu.
I have tried all the boot options with file flash.bin, Flash.bin,V8UHD_flash.bin (original file), v8uhd.abs, flash.abs etc. etc. I have followed all the recommended options but there is no solution. I am tired of trying many hours without giving the solution.
I have contacted with the seller, but he tells me that I have to go to this page and contact the manufacturer for technical support. Can someone in responsable/technician help us with this problem please?

We are desperate with this situation and we are very disappointed with this new device. We believed that we would have a high-end device as recommended by the seller and in the end we were faced with a total disaster with no solution. I feel cheated and cheated. It is not normal that when you buy a new device you have to make so many efforts and configurations on the first day of purchase.
Looking at different blogs and forums, there are many users with the same problems, This is not normal. The manufacturer must take measures and solve these problems definitely and we as users, should not have a degree in electronics engineering to use a simple device to watch a TV through satellite. Please, someone responsible who takes this matter seriously and for a definitive solution. It is the only brand that has these problems.
A solution please!
Thanks in advance!

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

gotti78 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:11 pm
Hello guys.
I have the same problem with GTMedia V8 UHD 4K purchased 2 days ago. While the firmware was being updated it was restarted interrupting self the process. Now on the screen appears the same error boot -> ERRI -> UP9. With this screen status there is no way to enter the boot menu.
I have tried all the boot options with file flash.bin, Flash.bin,V8UHD_flash.bin (original file), v8uhd.abs, flash.abs etc. etc. I have followed all the recommended options but there is no solution. I am tired of trying many hours without giving the solution.
I have contacted with the seller, but he tells me that I have to go to this page and contact the manufacturer for technical support. Can someone in responsable/technician help us with this problem please?

We are desperate with this situation and we are very disappointed with this new device. We believed that we would have a high-end device as recommended by the seller and in the end we were faced with a total disaster with no solution. I feel cheated and cheated. It is not normal that when you buy a new device you have to make so many efforts and configurations on the first day of purchase.
Looking at different blogs and forums, there are many users with the same problems, This is not normal. The manufacturer must take measures and solve these problems definitely and we as users, should not have a degree in electronics engineering to use a simple device to watch a TV through satellite. Please, someone responsible who takes this matter seriously and for a definitive solution. It is the only brand that has these problems.
A solution please!
Thanks in advance!
Hello and Welcome

Please first, read this forum rules here:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=16325

Please try not to go against us.

Now, as you mentioned this is the forum for technical services. We can try here to recover your unit. Will like to mentioned that even trying all the necessary steps there are members who units did not recover after all. All necessary warranty as to returning or having a replacement unit should be handle by your seller, not us. Here are some details notes from member Feralkiwi (owen) with guidelines to try to recover your unit

Place a copy of the unpacked software (the .bin file) on a USB stick and rename it "flash.bin"
With the USB in the unit, power on while repeat pressing "Menu" on the remote. (press and release (do not hold down the press for ever)

Also other users say that you must use a USB stick, not a card holder etc and that stick must be 32Gb or under (1gb, 2gb best)

Try using the same software as was in the unit when it crashed, not the new update software.
You must use the correct software, ie that for the V7HD for the V7HD etc, not software for any other freesat units.

Look at the LED in the USB stick. When the TV shows the message "USB Upgrade, do not turn off" you should see the LED on the USB flash as the file is loaded.
The USB LED should also flash a few times as the unit first powers on and looks at it.

Good luck

New information: Users are reporting that naming the file "Flash.bin" with a capital has worked where "flash.bin" has not. This is with the Nova units mostly.

gotti78

Post by gotti78 »

Thank you for your response, your help is appreciated.
I already informed the seller again and he told me to contact the manufacturer and then he will tell me something. I was very hesitant about the return/repair process taking into account the shipping costs and the time it took etc.. since you are in China and we are in Spain. Hope you provide us with a solution without anyone feeling upset.
Regarding the indications you cite, I have already done them many times, but it is not possible to load the boot screen. As I indicated in my previous message, I have tried all these options without having any different results. The device is always in the same error state without sending a signal to the TV. When I start applying the methods, the device does not react in any command order, it always starts with the BOOT message and then the ERRI or ERR1 message comes and then U9 (all this proceeds very fast). It practically does not send any signal to the TV so that a screen of the device is shown.
There should be some other way to solve this problem. I have seen in another forum here (viewtopic.php?t=19053&f=33#p96624), that some users are solving the problem with some software connecting with the PC, but that would be a physical intervention to the device. I don't want to physically open the device or do some kind of repair. That would be risky and logically it will not be recommended by you as well.

I will be awaiting your instructions. Thank you very much in advance.

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

gotti78

Post by gotti78 »

cpr43 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:37 pm
viewtopic.php?f=51&p=88218#p88218
Hello, can you confirm if I intervene with this process the device will keep its warranty?

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

This recovery process is part of the manufactures specs.

Anyway if you did try to return it you would likely find that the return shipping cost is as much as buying a new unit.

Here are my notes on forced upgrade.

Also try with the LNB cable disconnected too.

Owen

With the USB in the unit, power on while repeat pressing "Menu" on the remote.

Also other users say that you must use a USB stick, not a card holder etc and that stick must be 32Gb or under.

Good luck

gotti78

Post by gotti78 »

Thank you for your reply Feralkiwi, but all this that you indicates has already been done many times before. But in any case I have tried again all the methods with BIN and ABS files, doing whatever step I could think of. I have tried 14 BIN files of different versions, starting from the latest to the old ones. Unfortunately after several hours of testing, everything remains the same. The device practically does not respond in this BOOT/ERR1/UP9 mode.

While the device enters this screen mode, there is no way to make it read any file from USB with remote control commands.
But the official technicians of the brand here, I think they should know that it is not a normal upgrade when the device enters ERR1-> UP9 mode. Therefore, the upgrade process that we are trying will not be useful, it will only be a waste of time and a headache.

I think that technicians should know perfectly the solution to this ERR1-> UP9 mode, since they are the competent people who know each error and notification that appears on the screens of the devices. They are the developers themselves, not amateur users in learning. I do not believe that this error is unknown by this company. If so, they should carry out an investigation and provide a clear and definitive solution to these cases. If the specific technician who guides us does not have a definitive solution, please evaluate this with other colleagues in your technical department. And so we will all avoid wasting time and mental exhaustion. If there is no solution, there is no solution and this is it, we will understand.
They must understand that this situation is desperate for us as customers; because on the first day of buying they product we must consider the device dead and lose our money that simple with nothing.
I will appreciate any technical support that can guide us towards a solution. This is not only about my case, there are many desperate people like me, so we will have to take the matter very seriously and let us offer a definitive solution.

I would like to know if someone has managed to boot the device with the same error mode that we have. This answer, yes, I would like to have it. Then we can find out if we are making a mistake somewhere.

While this, as soon as I get the RS232 cable, I will try to connect it with the PC and perform the upgrade with the software (viewtopic.php?f=51&p=88218#p88218). Because from what I see, it is the only solution for now.

Thanks for advance to tecnical team and thank you for your attempt to help Feralkiwi.
Last edited by gotti78 on Thu May 13, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

In this post I showed how to blindly use the UP9 menu.

That still may be worth trying if your unit gets stuck in the UP9 on the front panel.
You can not see this menu but it may still be there.
Note for this to work you use a USB stick with only one file on it.
It will not work if when your unit shows the UP9 in the front panel there is no flashing / power on your USB stick.
My V7Pro is in this state, no power to the USB stick (only a flash), so I can not recover it via USB, I need to find my lost USB / RS232 dongle.

Owen

gotti78

Post by gotti78 »

Thank you very much for the help, but it is still the same. I have tried several USB sticks with 2GB, 4GB, 8GB and 32GB. In when I connect the USB stick into the device it does not read data. The light of the USB stick is not appreciated at any time.

Before you told me these method, I had already approved it blindly, but had not managed to get the device to read something from the USB stick.

Unfortunately I don't see any other option than to connect it to the PC with RS232 and proceed with the software that you have recommended. As soon as I receive the cable I will test it and I will tell you.

In the meantime, if you have the solution resolved in your department, please share it with us. Otherwise, this situation is desperate for everyone and very bad taste for customers with the first day of use of the device.

Thanks in advance as always.

Tom.w
网站管理员

Post by Tom.w »

gotti78 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:53 am
Thank you very much for the help, but it is still the same. I have tried several USB sticks with 2GB, 4GB, 8GB and 32GB. In when I connect the USB stick into the device it does not read data. The light of the USB stick is not appreciated at any time.

Before you told me these method, I had already approved it blindly, but had not managed to get the device to read something from the USB stick.

Unfortunately I don't see any other option than to connect it to the PC with RS232 and proceed with the software that you have recommended. As soon as I receive the cable I will test it and I will tell you.

In the meantime, if you have the solution resolved in your department, please share it with us. Otherwise, this situation is desperate for everyone and very bad taste for customers with the first day of use of the device.

Thanks in advance as always.
hello
As @Owen said (In this post I showed how to blindly use the UP9 menu.), do you see the upgrade menu?

gotti78

Post by gotti78 »

Hi Tom.w!
No upgrade menu appears. The device does not output data to the TV and not read any usb stick in this mode (BOOT/ERR1/UP9). If the upgrade menu appeared, I had solved it, but no menu appears.

When it enters the UP9 state, before this it receives the ERR1 warning and I think this mode is different than usual. Usually the UP9 mode arrived BOOT/UP9 is where the upgrade menu appears what you mean. But in this case it proceeds with BOOT/ERR1/UP9. In this mode no menu appears and the device does not respond to any command.

I have already quoted several times previously this ERR1 and I think that this point should be focused on by the technicians /they will know better, in this case I can giv onlymy opinion.

Also, I am not the only one with this problem on this forum. And I have not seen if anyone has managed to solve it through by usb stick. Those who have managed to save the device, I think they have only done it with an upgrade from PC (RS232). If have any reference to the contrary, I would appreciate if someone shares it with us. But always with the same problem where is incluid the ERR1 code on teh screen.

Thanks!

Tom.w
网站管理员

Post by Tom.w »

gotti78 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:37 pm
Hi Tom.w!
No upgrade menu appears. The device does not output data to the TV and not read any usb stick in this mode (BOOT/ERR1/UP9). If the upgrade menu appeared, I had solved it, but no menu appears.

When it enters the UP9 state, before this it receives the ERR1 warning and I think this mode is different than usual. Usually the UP9 mode arrived BOOT/UP9 is where the upgrade menu appears what you mean. But in this case it proceeds with BOOT/ERR1/UP9. In this mode no menu appears and the device does not respond to any command.

I have already quoted several times previously this ERR1 and I think that this point should be focused on by the technicians /they will know better, in this case I can giv onlymy opinion.

Also, I am not the only one with this problem on this forum. And I have not seen if anyone has managed to solve it through by usb stick. Those who have managed to save the device, I think they have only done it with an upgrade from PC (RS232). If have any reference to the contrary, I would appreciate if someone shares it with us. But always with the same problem where is incluid the ERR1 code on teh screen.

Thanks!
hello
if the box can not enter the upgrade menu,the best solution is following the user guide from viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20721,to do uart refresh the firmware

gotti78

Post by gotti78 »

Hello, Yes, that's how it is. I'm waiting for the RS232 cable to get to me to do it. When I have it, I will proceed.

iq180
网站管理员

Post by iq180 »

gotti78 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:49 am
Thank you for your response, your help is appreciated.
I already informed the seller again and he told me to contact the manufacturer and then he will tell me something. I was very hesitant about the return/repair process taking into account the shipping costs and the time it took etc.. since you are in China and we are in Spain. Hope you provide us with a solution without anyone feeling upset.
Regarding the indications you cite, I have already done them many times, but it is not possible to load the boot screen. As I indicated in my previous message, I have tried all these options without having any different results. The device is always in the same error state without sending a signal to the TV. When I start applying the methods, the device does not react in any command order, it always starts with the BOOT message and then the ERRI or ERR1 message comes and then U9 (all this proceeds very fast). It practically does not send any signal to the TV so that a screen of the device is shown.
There should be some other way to solve this problem. I have seen in another forum here (viewtopic.php?t=19053&f=33#p96624), that some users are solving the problem with some software connecting with the PC, but that would be a physical intervention to the device. I don't want to physically open the device or do some kind of repair. That would be risky and logically it will not be recommended by you as well.

I will be awaiting your instructions. Thank you very much in advance.
When you see that U9 press down arrow 2 times and then press ok.

gotti78

Post by gotti78 »

Thanks for your answer iq180, but unfortunately this is useless. I have tried it before.
The device does not read the USB stick and does not respond to the remote control.

iq180
网站管理员

Post by iq180 »

gotti78 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:26 am
Thanks for your answer iq180, but unfortunately this is useless. I have tried it before.
The device does not read the USB stick and does not respond to the remote control.
Did you try and rename the file like this V8UHD_flash.bin

gotti78

Post by gotti78 »

I have tried connecting the cable with the USB port of the PC and the device with RS232 but it gives me a port error.
I have also tried with each port COM1, COM2..COM32 and there is no change.
What could be the problem?

iq180
网站管理员

Post by iq180 »

gotti78 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:50 pm
I have tried connecting the cable with the USB port of the PC and the device with RS232 but it gives me a port error.
I have also tried with each port COM1, COM2..COM32 and there is no change.
What could be the problem?

I think you need a computer with windows XP/Vista or windows 7, I don't think windows 10 will work.

Return to “GTMEDIA V8 SERIES”