RS232 for v8 UHD

V8 NOVA / V8 HONOR / V8 PRO2/V8 UHD / V8X

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Re: RS232 for v8 UHD

Post by Feralkiwi »

I opened my V8 UHD unit.

I note that the RS232 connections is mounted on the back of the board.
This requires it to be hand soldered.
This can be seen by the solder flux still around the soldered pins. Labeled J6
Note too the plastic body of my RS232 connector is melted.

slawekkrupa

Check that the solder on the other side of the RS232 connection is OK.
No shorts of solder splash.
All pins soldered.

Owen
UHD RS232Plug.png
UHD RS232Plug.png (1.95 MiB) Viewed 539 times
UHD RS232Solder3.jpg
UHD RS232Solder3.jpg (704.19 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

slawekkrupa

Post by slawekkrupa »

Ground pin on the RS232 connector compared to V8 UHD ground, external ground of the LNB connector. - is 0 Ohm

I checked the socket connector with a meter and the solder on the motherboard. (no resistance 0 Ohm). The same situation with the RS232 cable and the motherboard, there is a correct connection without resistance.

All pins correctly soldered to the tracks on the motherboard.

What's next?
Attachments
IMG_20230927_074807.jpg
IMG_20230927_074807.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 533 times

CAJE
网站管理员

Post by CAJE »

Check the pin voltage which is on the JST in the middle, It should give a voltage of less than 10V, if you have the PC program running, If you have voltage the connection is correct

Alfaabass

Post by Alfaabass »

I have the same problem,my v8uhd still stuck on boot since 6months now after install Mars firmware,and I have been looking for way to go back to original firmware,but no solution up till now,please anybody with solution should help us out

slawekkrupa

Post by slawekkrupa »

CAJE wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:01 am
Check the pin voltage which is on the JST in the middle, It should give a voltage of less than 10V, if you have the PC program running, If you have voltage the connection is correct
Please, Tell me how to do it . step by step.

What will it give me ? I will measure the voltages of the device and then what ? Will I do a software update via RS232 ?

If I won't have such a possibility, where should I send the device to replace it with a defect free one (because my V8UHD device has a manufacturing defect ) .

CAJE
网站管理员

Post by CAJE »

It has no defect, I think the problem is in the PC program, a solution is to use the programmer clip

yesesta

Post by yesesta »

CAJE wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:26 pm
It has no defect, I think the problem is in the PC program, a solution is to use the programmer clip
Can you explain why the program works with some boxes but not with others. It has been proven that this problem only occurs with certain builds of the pcb.

Also a "programmer clip" is not the sort of item everyone has in their spares box. Maybe GTMedia needs to tell people that if you buy this box you need to buy a programmer clip as well.

Stop putting the blame on the end user.

sickboy

Post by sickboy »

I too have a V8UHD which can't be flashed via RS232 and I'm pretty adept at that sort of thing so it's not user error.

I don't know what version the board is it's all put back together.

slawekkrupa

Post by slawekkrupa »

yesesta wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:24 pm
CAJE wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:26 pm
Can you explain why the program works with some boxes but not with others. It has been proven that this problem only occurs with certain builds of the pcb.

Also a "programmer clip" is not the sort of item everyone has in their spares box. Maybe GTMedia needs to tell people that if you buy this box you need to buy a programmer clip as well.

Stop putting the blame on the end user.
sickboy wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:27 am
I too have a V8UHD which can't be flashed via RS232 and I'm pretty adept at that sort of thing so it's not user error.

I don't know what version the board is it's all put back together.
You are exactly right!

For me is the oracle RS232 with the socket that is on the board. If the RS232 port does not work it is the fault of the manufacturer of the motherboard that is GTMedia and it is clearly a factory defect.

Programming clips are for electronic service shops that have more knowledge in programming specific processors and not the end user of the device.

I want to upgrade from MARS to GTMedia manufacturer's software, I don't want to play with electronics. I can take voltage or resistance measurements as desired, but what good will that do me if my goal is to do the upgrade, not to check the pins on the motherboard ?

Once again, he writes:

If I won't have such a possibility, where should I send the device to replace it with a defect free one (because my V8UHD device has a manufacturing defect ) .

CAJE
网站管理员

Post by CAJE »

You haven't said if the black wire has any type of voltage without connecting it to the JST connector.
Everyone knows that to leave Mars you can only use an RS232 cable or a programming clip that costs half the price of a cable USB-JACK
There have been cases with the V8UHD where it has not been possible to do it using an RS232 cable, it could be because of him by the software GTMedia_V8UHD Upgrade Tool
For the V9 and V8UHD I would recommend using the programming clip, it is very simple and cheaper than having a USB-Jack cable, that you must adapt it to the JST connector

slawekkrupa

Post by slawekkrupa »

CAJE wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:28 am
You haven't said if the black wire has any type of voltage without connecting it to the JST connector.
Everyone knows that to leave Mars you can only use an RS232 cable or a programming clip that costs half the price of a cable USB-JACK
There have been cases with the V8UHD where it has not been possible to do it using an RS232 cable, it could be because of him by the software GTMedia_V8UHD Upgrade Tool
For the V9 and V8UHD I would recommend using the programming clip, it is very simple and cheaper than having a USB-Jack cable, that you must adapt it to the JST connector
Tell me how to do it step by step:
You can show graphically , how I should accurately make this measurement.
"You haven't said if the black wire has any type of voltage without connecting it to the JST connector."

I don't know anything about that:
"Everyone knows that to leave Mars you can only use an RS232 cable or a programming clip that costs half the price of a USB-JACK cable."

CAJE
网站管理员

Post by CAJE »

slawekkrupa wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:40 am
CAJE wrote:
"You haven't said if the black wire has any type of voltage without connecting it to the JST connector."

"Everyone knows that to leave Mars you can only use an RS232 cable or a programming clip that costs half the price of a USB-JACK cable."
I told you to check the black cable when the software is active on the PC, it should have a voltage that does not exceed 10 Volts, This will confirm that both the software and the connection work well, the FTP option must be unchecked
If it still does not work like other cases that I have encountered, they have solved it with the programmer clip that has been discussed in the forum and there are images how to use it, it is very easy to put the clip on top of the chip

slawekkrupa

Post by slawekkrupa »

CAJE wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:58 am
slawekkrupa wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:40 am
CAJE wrote:

I told you to check the black cable when the software is active on the PC, it should have a voltage that does not exceed 10 Volts, This will confirm that both the software and the connection work well, the FTP option must be unchecked
If it still does not work like other cases that I have encountered, they have solved it with the programmer clip that has been discussed in the forum and there are images how to use it, it is very easy to put the clip on top of the chip
This I already know. But where should I connect the meter to measure the voltage. Show me.

CAJE
网站管理员

Post by CAJE »

The red multimeter lead to connector 3 of the DB9 and the black multimeter lead to PIN 5 GND of the DB9

slawekkrupa

Post by slawekkrupa »

CAJE wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:18 am
The red multimeter lead to connector 3 of the DB9 and the black multimeter lead to PIN 5 GND of the DB9
5.867V

And what is the moral of this :?

CAJE
网站管理员

Post by CAJE »

That the V8UHD they have cannot restore a firmware via COM
You must use the programmer clip
Here in the V7Pro topic you will see images of how the programmer clip works

slawekkrupa

Post by slawekkrupa »

CAJE wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:35 am
For me it's already getting too complicated, I don't know what exactly to buy, what programming software. In a while there will be a problem that you have to solder something out, etc.

For me, it is a manufacturing defect if it does not work properly through the RS232 port.

I'd rather send the device back and get a good one than have to do some experiments.

I am disgusted by all of this.

CAJE
网站管理员

Post by CAJE »

slawekkrupa wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:51 am
CAJE wrote:
For me it's already getting too complicated, I don't know what exactly to buy, what programming software. In a while there will be a problem that you have to solder something out, etc.

For me, it is a manufacturing defect if it does not work properly through the RS232 port.

I'd rather send the device back and get a good one than have to do some experiments.

A Ch341 programmer clip
There is no need to desolder anything, just connect the clip to the chip

slawekkrupa

Post by slawekkrupa »

CAJE wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:40 am
slawekkrupa wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:51 am
CAJE wrote:

A Ch341 programmer clip
There is no need to desolder anything, just connect the clip to the chip
I buy https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005005997112704.html
CH341A Series USB BIOS EEPROM Programmer Module 24 25 + SOIC8 SOP8 Test Clip for 93CXX / 25CXX / 24CXX EEPROM

I understand that it will be a good device.
CAJE - Will you guarantee to update the firmware to GTMEDIA and write me what to do step by step "like for a layman" how to connect it and how to update via soft ?
Attachments
Zrzut ekranu 2023-09-28 110209.png
Zrzut ekranu 2023-09-28 110209.png (333.96 KiB) Viewed 449 times

CAJE
网站管理员

Post by CAJE »

Yes you will see that it is very easy, the engineers will check what happens with the RS232 communication in some models of the V8UHD
Attachments
Better to use the blue plate
Better to use the blue plate
clip programmer.jpg (103.25 KiB) Viewed 440 times

slawekkrupa

Post by slawekkrupa »

CAJE wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:33 am
Yes you will see that it is very easy, the engineers will check what happens with the RS232 communication in some models of the V8UHD
I'm sorry, but you didn't answer my question.

CAJE - Will you guarantee to update the firmware to GTMEDIA and write me what to do step by step "like for a layman" how to connect it and how to update via soft ?

CAJE
网站管理员

Post by CAJE »

I told you yes and you will see that it is very easy

slawekkrupa

Post by slawekkrupa »

CAJE wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:36 pm
I am currently waiting for the shipment.
I want you to inform me what and how ( step by step ).
I need step-by-step instructions, i.e. how to connect the programmer to the motherboard, what software, how to do the programming, what to install, etc. I haven't dealt with this and I don't want to relive the failure that happened to me with RS232.

Can you prepare such an instruction ( step by step ), surely other users will also be useful.

CAJE
网站管理员

Post by CAJE »

slawekkrupa wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:45 pm
CAJE wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:36 pm
I am currently waiting for the shipment.
I want you to inform me what and how ( step by step ).
I need step-by-step instructions, i.e. how to connect the programmer to the motherboard, what software, how to do the programming, what to install, etc. I haven't dealt with this and I don't want to relive the failure that happened to me with RS232.

Can you prepare such an instruction ( step by step ), surely other users will also be useful.
Here we will provide you with the Software for your programmer and all other details related to the CH341a Universal Programmer.
1 Detect chip
2 Erase chip
3 Verify
4 Load firmware from files
5 Burn chip

When Ch341 is connected to the Box, the display lights up

maurofragola

Post by maurofragola »

aggiungo se mi permettete di informarvi che quando si innesta la clip alla flash rom ,fate attenzione ai dentini della test clip la plastica della clip e' di scarsa qualita' si rompe facilmente

Return to “GTMEDIA V8 SERIES”