C band reception and 5G

Talking about new market news, idea for life

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

Post Reply
kolithawick
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:16 am

C band reception and 5G

Post by kolithawick » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:18 am

Recently I have read about technical information about 5G. the frequency bands used are same as C band frequency.
What will happen to our C band reception when 5G transmit high power in close range.
experts please comment.

User avatar
Feralkiwi
网站管理员
Posts: 3237
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:51 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: C band reception and 5G

Post by Feralkiwi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:39 pm

My concern is that 5G sets up standing wave patterns that have high powered node points, a bit like the 100 foot rouge waves that old time sailers reported, that have now been recorded by wave meters.
The testing of 5G has been done using only one sorce at a time, not with multipule sorces and these standing waves nodes.
If your dish is in one of these nodes, yes it will suffer.

As I understand it, the suberbs around the large uplink satellite sites in both Brisbain and Sydney Australia have a wifi ban so the sites can operate.
This suggest that interferance is an issue.

Owen
Dishes; 5x3m, 2.4m, 2.1m, 1.8m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. Skybox F5, F5s, V6, V8. Openbox V8 Combo, Pro, Freesat V8 Golden, Nova, GTC, Super and Angle (Sample). Freesat V7HDs, Combo and V7s. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

kolithawick
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:16 am

Re: C band reception and 5G

Post by kolithawick » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:22 am

thanks Owen.

abcd4321
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: C band reception and 5G

Post by abcd4321 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:17 pm

I think its going to be a problem until recently 101w was great. Then quality readings started going all over the place. The dish is pointed between a 1000ft cell tower and a 300ft tower. It was never effected before and even now if moved outside the towers everything goes back to normal. The towers are down range about 2 miles but would imagine they radiate upward as horizontally.

tck9
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:19 am

Re: C band reception and 5G

Post by tck9 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:03 pm

abcd4321 wrote:I think its going to be a problem until recently 101w was great. Then quality readings started going all over the place. The dish is pointed between a 1000ft cell tower and a 300ft tower. It was never effected before and even now if moved outside the towers everything goes back to normal. The towers are down range about 2 miles but would imagine they radiate upward as horizontally.
Have you tried putting a shield around the dish? That way the interference will only happen if it's directly hitting the dish instead of coming from the sides.

User avatar
Feralkiwi
网站管理员
Posts: 3237
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:51 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: C band reception and 5G

Post by Feralkiwi » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:48 pm

Not a bad idea. I have seen sat dishes with a cylinder projecting from the outer edge for 1m.
You could still get high powered reflections in from the side.

I have noticed many signal loses for about five to ten minutes of late on TP's I am just getting.
I have had this long ago with spiders sitting in my C band LNB's with one leg on the side and one on the pickup pin. I now keep my LNB's sprayed with insect spray.
I am wondering if these ten minute signal losses are from passing intenet sats, the internet equivalant of the GPS sats.

Owen
Dishes; 5x3m, 2.4m, 2.1m, 1.8m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. Skybox F5, F5s, V6, V8. Openbox V8 Combo, Pro, Freesat V8 Golden, Nova, GTC, Super and Angle (Sample). Freesat V7HDs, Combo and V7s. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

Ncaa1976*
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 pm

Re: C band reception and 5G

Post by Ncaa1976* » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:48 pm

5G does it have an advantage???

Pionex2020
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:48 am

Re: C band reception and 5G

Post by Pionex2020 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:28 am

Interesting reading.

iggy57
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:16 pm

Re: C band reception and 5G

Post by iggy57 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:13 pm

Seems they are looking at solutions for us in coming future .

Code: Select all

http://www.norsat.com/5g-interference/?ads_cmpid=1713704291&ads_adid=66755560723&ads_matchtype=p&ads_network=g&ads_creative=333546847413&utm_term=lnb&ads_targetid=kwd-24155212&utm_campaign=&ttv=2

SimonTempler
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:42 pm

Re: C band reception and 5G

Post by SimonTempler » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:48 pm

Thanx iggy57 for the Norsat link. Good info.
Norsat has always had very good product.
As 5g becomes more a problem, more filters will be made from other companies.

Ivyman
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:52 am

Re: C band reception and 5G

Post by Ivyman » Thu May 02, 2019 3:39 pm

Feralkiwi wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:48 pm
Not a bad idea. I have seen sat dishes with a cylinder projecting from the outer edge for 1m.
You could still get high powered reflections in from the side.

I have noticed many signal loses for about five to ten minutes of late on TP's I am just getting.
I have had this long ago with spiders sitting in my C band LNB's with one leg on the side and one on the pickup pin. I now keep my LNB's sprayed with insect spray.
I am wondering if these ten minute signal losses are from passing intenet sats, the internet equivalant of the GPS sats.

Owen
A better solution than spraying inside the LNBF throat would be adding a throat cover to keep the spiders out. Bug spray has all sorts of chemicals that can corrode the the antenna (pickup pin). When the corrosion gets bad enough, it can cause extensive signal loss. The corrosion acts like a reflective barrier that reflects the signal rather than absorbing it. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Feralkiwi
网站管理员
Posts: 3237
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:51 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: C band reception and 5G

Post by Feralkiwi » Thu May 02, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks. I generaly just spray the outside.

Owen
Dishes; 5x3m, 2.4m, 2.1m, 1.8m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. Skybox F5, F5s, V6, V8. Openbox V8 Combo, Pro, Freesat V8 Golden, Nova, GTC, Super and Angle (Sample). Freesat V7HDs, Combo and V7s. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

Murf006
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Re: C band reception and 5G

Post by Murf006 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:04 pm

tck9 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:03 pm
abcd4321 wrote:I think its going to be a problem until recently 101w was great. Then quality readings started going all over the place. The dish is pointed between a 1000ft cell tower and a 300ft tower. It was never effected before and even now if moved outside the towers everything goes back to normal. The towers are down range about 2 miles but would imagine they radiate upward as horizontally.
Have you tried putting a shield around the dish? That way the interference will only happen if it's directly hitting the dish instead of coming from the sides.
What would this look like. I get good signals on 97w, 99w, but when I get to 101w my signal are way lower. I have a lot of cellphone towers, city wifi hotspots. I wonder if this would help shield these unwanted signals from entering my satellite dish.

Post Reply