Future of C-Band in North America (USA)

Talking about new market news, idea for life

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

CaliSat

Future of C-Band in North America (USA)

Post by CaliSat »

Hello, and thanks for reading my post. Some of you may have heard already that half of our C-Band frequencies here in the US (3.8-4.0) are being auctioned off by the FCC to Telecom Companies to be used for 5g. Currently, the auction is supposed to take place this December (2020). There have been a lot of comments about what is going to happen i.e:

1) All of the Sat Companies will just crowd into the remaining frequencies (4.0-4.2).
2) Channel spacing will be changed to make better use of what's left.
3) Some might move to Ku
4) Some have suggested that this is the end of C-Band in the US.

I watch very little Ku Band, most everything I watch is on C-Band. So, I wonder what's going to happen. Will I switch on my Receiver one day to find out that half of my channels are gone. If in fact the Channel Spacing is changed, will all the existing receivers have to be replaced with new ones here in the US? I think moving to Ku is easier said than done due to rain fade. Could it be the end of C-Band here in the US? I don't think so, but exactly what will happen will have to remain to be seen.

If you have any insight into what actually will happen, I certainly would like to hear your comments. Thank you in advance for your replies!

abesalinas10

Re: Future of C-Band in North America (USA)

Post by abesalinas10 »

I have heard that. The only thing is to enjoy as much as you can. Most active satellites in North America for FTA is Eutelsat 113 W and 117 W.
The frequencies may migrate gradually to other birds.

CaliSat

Post by CaliSat »

Thanks for your reply. There has also been talk about shifting the C-Band up 2 megs (4.0 - 4.4). That might, or might not work seeing that the birds might not be able to make the shift up 2 megs. Is there enough bandwidth from 4.0 - 4.2 to handle everything that is already there plus 3.8 - 4.0. Yeah maybe. They might need to re-space all the channels or narrow the bandwidth some to get them all to fit in. There really aren't a lot of C-Banders here in the US. Most everybody is paying Dish or DirectTV $300-$400 dollars a month to get all the channels they want to see, Premium, Sports, etc. There is Broadband Cable in my area. But my neighbors that bundle their TV, Internet, and Phone all together are always reporting problems. And Broadband is just as costly as Satellite.

Darren
网站管理员

Post by Darren »

5G is using more and more figh frequency bands theoretically, but it is not easy to spread 5G devices and applications in the short term. You can caculate to see what transpondors will be impacted in your channel list to find out what channels will be moved. There will be new STB of GTMedia luanching out which can decrypt and decode 4:2:2 channels, so you also investigate if the 4:2:2 channels will be impacted.

Return to “Others”