I am new to this all

Please discuss the softcam feature ,share the softcam key...

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

MyBigDish

I am new to this all

Post by MyBigDish »

just bought me a GTMEDIA V8 NOVA .. My question, will this work on ku ? I have an 1.2 Meter dish i use for ku.. I only have ku because i live in a community and they have there rules. I live in the States and was curious ...

Thanks

Captain Ron

Re: I am new to this all

Post by Captain Ron »

MyBigDish wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:04 am
just bought me a GTMEDIA V8 NOVA .. My question, will this work on ku ? I have an 1.2 Meter dish i use for ku.. I only have ku because i live in a community and they have there rules. I live in the States and was curious ...

Thanks
To make the answer short (probably not).

Your 1.2 Meter (3 Foot Pizza Dish) is mainly for Dick and Dave (Dishnet or Directv) that is small dish Ku (they both use different frequency LNB's).

What we do here is mainly watch TV on Big Dishes (6 foot or larger) which is needed for BUD C-Band and Ku. Some people experiment with 4ft or 5ft dishes but that small a dish will limit what channels you can receive, a 6ft dish minimum is really needed for reliable viewing on BUD.

If you used to watch Dishnet on that small dish there is or (used to be) something called (IKS) that plays Dishnet channels on FTA Receivers but if your dish was for DirecTv then the LNB is only good for that as all three (BUD, Directv and Dishnet) each use different frequency LNB's and you need a 6ft or larger dish for BUD that most of us do here.

Sorry if this is confusing to you. You can Google IKS and read about it elsewhere if you believe you want to look into that!

Good Luck ! :D

MyBigDish

Post by MyBigDish »

Never was used for dish or directv .. I bought it several years back and had nothing but good luck.. It's an Patriot.. I use an Universal LNB on it .. I know sats like 121w that are for dish net programming that are powerVU .. My signals strength is great.. So why would this be an issue for this receiver.. I only asked a question and you assumed i had used it for other reasons .. Not the case .. I come here for help is all... Ive been in this hobby for years. But, this part is new to me on getting channels by keys ..

Captain Ron

Post by Captain Ron »

And I was just trying to help you and I don't think I deserved to have my head chewed off !

Sorry but you didn't give that information on that you had experience using FTA with that dish before and that it wasn't a Dishnet or Directv dish and your threads heading was that (you are new to all of this) so I felt a full explanation would be best.

(All) generally means (all of it ) .

Yes you might be able to get a few BUD Satellites and channels with that dish but you probably will have a lot of reception issues especially in bad weather (rain, snow, ice) etc on a small dish.

So in fact you aren't "New to all this" like you claimed in your original post!

Chill and have a good day !

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

I am from across the pond, I look through the posts and help were I can, in this case I cannot help, other members in turn will read the posts and come forward to help you in your quest to decode channels from satellites in your neck of the woods.

Good luck

Den

bwe

Post by bwe »

MyBigDish wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:04 am

Thanks
Hello friend,

I live in U.S. too. I use a 1 meter dish, and receive the Powervu Ku channels on my V8 Pro2 just fine. 1.2 meter is plenty of dish for Ku...too small for C-band, in my opinion.

When you get 10 posts (read the rules on this forum) you can request the softcam.key for the Western satellites. In fact, since you are only Ku band, request just the Ku band keys for 87w, 91w, and 121w. The whole softcam.key is mostly for C-band, and you won't need those.

Unfortunately, as you might already know, there isn't much variety of Powervu channels on Ku band. Off the top of my head, 87w and 91w come to mind. 89w, the Mormon sat, which is usually FTA, will occasionally encrypt in Powervu when particular sporting or church events happen. That's about it, unless I'm missing something.

The DTV stuff on 121w Ku, to the best of my knowlegde, is not Powervu, but Nagravision, which is not supported by any GT Media receiver. The only Powervu channels, that I'm aware of on that sat, are the Veteran Affairs channels.

Nevertheless, it's still worth it. 87w and 91w will sometimes broadcast decent content. Good luck, and if you have any more questions feel free to PM.

And by the way, Captain Ron is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable members on this forum. He was the first one to reach out and guide me along, when I first came on board this summer.

BWE :D
:mrgreen: V8 Pro2, V8 Nova, V7 Plus, V8X, X8, GTC, GT Combo and V8 Finder :mrgreen:

Return to “Softcam :Biss/PowerVu/Tandberg”