Strange Problems with GT Combo

GTMEDIA_GTX COMBO/GTX Twin/GTCOMBO /GTC /GTS /GTS-PRO /GTT2

Moderators: admin, nzl229, GTMedia Team

alaska1974

Strange Problems with GT Combo

Post by alaska1974 »

I have had a GT Combo unit approx. 2 months, and whenever I have had problems, they could normally be cleared by shutting off power and booting back up. Since Saturday, there have been problems very similar to that of a user last week, where the unit would shut off the power the LNB feeding the satellite receiver, and No Signal would display on the screen. He was able to get it working by going into settings, turning off LNB power, then turning it on, which then restored service. Every time he powered down afterwards it would require this procedure to be repeated, which would point to a possible corrupted firmware or software issue. I had similar problems, but was never able to restore satellite reception until I did a reset of memory, erasing all stored information, and going through initial setup procedure. I was able to activate one satellite name, and manually add its five active transponders by entering one at a time. The remote control operation and control has weirded out since the reset, and would not let me do an automatic or blind scan at all. It did successfully scan the first transponder that I entered, and provided about 10 channels (all in FTA mode; none with conditional access). The receiver does not seem able to allow me to select (check) the remaining four transponders, and when I have tried to check another adjoining satellite, it refuses to allow that selection. The check mark only remains on the initial (first) satellite and also only on the first transponder. Further attempts included selecting the GEAR button on top of the home screen, and then clicking on the DVB (Sat) icon that I had activated. That gives me a full screen of the channel selected. The up/down arrows as well as the PG (channel up/down) buttons have no reaction, and the only way to select a channel is to enter channel number manually (01 through 10) with the remote control.

In prior operation I was previously able to press the Custom button and it would get me straight to the DVB-Satellite function. Now it goes straight to the Customize menu and its top setting (Wallpaper). This can be cleared by pressing EXIT, which returns to the main home screen, with the standard sized satellite picture from the DVB function displayed. Press OK after that, and a full satellite screen appears. Pressing MENU after that gives me Channel Manager-Timer-Installation-Setting-EPG boxes on the left of the screen. The blue INSTALLATION box is the only function that works, and you cannot go up or down, such as to Channel Manager, to do some editing. However when you press OK while the blue Installation mode is selected, the Installation screen comes up. All DVB-S/S2 functions (Satellite List/Antenna Setup/Transponder List/Multi Scan/Italy LCN Scan) can be individually selected and information changed, but the remote control's previous flexibility is very limited. I hopped around and went to the Satellite List mode, pressed OK, and was able to blind scan remaining transponders and channels. They can still not be changed but a simple channel up or down request. You must enter a two digit channel number with the remote, and then press OK. Channel will work properly if the assigned number has a channel in place. However, previous ability to see a list of all channels on that satellite by pressing OK does not work.

The receiver has clearly lost its mind as far as accessibility of most previous functions. I have reset and cleared the memory no less than four times.
It took me weeks of painstaking work and research to get this far, and now I can't get past one satellite scanned. Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you.

stephan94

Re: Strange Problems with GT Combo

Post by stephan94 »

Replace the batteries in the remote control with new ones.
V8 Turbo ;

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Also if new batteries does not fix it, note this.

I find that stopping a scan can make the unit do odd things, like you say.

Using the green button to try a feed for 422 with 4.2.2 auto set in the menu can make odd things too.

Using the online upgrade that does not require a reset and reload of your channel list and other stuff can do odd things too.
Remember if you do a reset save everything, softcam, ccam account details, chennel list, Picons, added apps etc.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

alaska1974

Post by alaska1974 »

Thank you for your suggestions Owen. I did change the batteries, as they were on the low side due to excessive use.
Before doing any resets, but after blind scanning a satellite (133 West) with a number of new HEVC channels (all scrambled in a format that cannot be received), I attempted to remove them in small groups with the Channel Editor. The receiver has often choked when there is a scanned HEVC channel called up, locks things completely, and could previously be reset by powering off and then on again. I had lack of response with the callup of channels or satellites using the remote after this hiccup happened. A reset and new download from the website seemed like the only solution, and I reasoned that there might be enough info in the memory that it would be best to clear everything, despite losing prestored info since I did not back it up. After rebooting and going through setting up the remote control, languages, etc, I still encounter the inability to call up previously accessible functions. It will not allow me to check off each satellite after the first one is in the memory, and while I was finally able to blind scan all TPs on the first and only active satellite, I could not and cannot manually add additional transponder information. The only accessible programming function is through the Installation section, and the up and down ability to go into other areas such as Channel Manager can no longer be done. It will not respond to up or down pushing of the cursors near the OK button on the remote. If I have downloaded new info after clearing the memory back to original condition and erasing prior to new download, I would think that the basic functions should return, but they do not. I have done this no less than four times, with no changes in those abilities. My opinion that this is still a firmware or software glitch, and the receiver is now more or less a boat anchor stuck on retaining scanned info from one stored satellite. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

That still sounds like a remote battery issue.

It may not be that the batteries are low, but other Bluetooth signal are stopping control.
Try decoupling the remote.
This will make the remote a normal IR remote control.

Note after decouple you need to restart the combo so it stop looking for the now decoupled remote.
You will need to be in line of sight to the combo box with the now IR remote, like you need to be for power on from standby as that uses IR too even when coupled.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

alaska1974

Post by alaska1974 »

Thank you my Kiwi friend. That may have been a good idea...which I followed, but it may have had consequences as well as gotten me closer to the problem. The remote control has been decoupled. It now turns the receiver power on or off. But I can no longer get any response to get into the menus...leading me to question whether or not the problem is inside the remote control itself. The original problem started after some serious button pushing in attempts to delete some channels via the Channel Editor. Response with the receiver commands has never been the same since, and it may be a coincidence that I no longer have certain abilities because of some internal button problems or failures. They have been totally disconnected from the circuit since it was decoupled, and it appears that I can no longer get back into the receiver's command structure to start a recoupling attempt. So I will order a spare remote for whatever, and hope that it gets things working once it has been tied to the receiver. Spare remotes seem to be a necessity with a receiver that has this many functions in an often convoluted fashion. Will let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Power the unit off at the power cable connection.
Standby will leave the unit thinking the remote is still coupled, a software error when decoupling.

Also look at the remote IR LED through a digital camera, you should see it flashing.

Owen

alaska1974

Post by alaska1974 »

Thanks again Owen. I have ordered a pair of extra remotes for this receiver, because there is definitely something weird with the one I have been using. The most that it can do is turn the box on and off. Otherwise there is no response by any other key, as monitored on my video screen. Before decoupling the remote, most of the functions were very intermittent at best. After decoupling, we're down to its abilities for turning power on/off.
I need a break from this machine anyway, so will get back to troubleshooting when I have at least one new remote control in hand.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Did you power the combo off at the power cable?
The remote decouple from menu only decouples the combo end and the remote will still think it is paired until there is no Bluetooth signal, ie powered off at the power cable. Turning to standby does not fix that.

Plug in a mouse, that will allow for menu access and you could recouple the remote that way.

If you have any other GT Media remotes, try them too.

Owen

Return to “GTMEDIA GT SERIES (Android DVB & IPTV BOX)”