V9 Prime error

GTMEDIA V9 super V9Prime

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

soscaster

V9 Prime error

Post by soscaster »

After I use the RS232 refresh tool to get back to old UI software, the latest software (V175) is not boot up and only show StRt on the front panel and hang.
IMG_2274.PNG
IMG_2274.PNG (3.65 MiB) Viewed 1830 times
I tried to flash the firmware before it (V170 - V171) and it worked!
Screenshot 2023-04-13 18-52-37.png
Screenshot 2023-04-13 18-52-37.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1830 times
How I flashed my V9 Prime

But... after 3-4 days normally using, my box can't boot up, the front panel is showing "boot" -> "Err1 or ERRI" -> "UP9".
IMG_2275.PNG
IMG_2275.PNG (3.55 MiB) Viewed 1830 times
IMG_2276.PNG
IMG_2276.PNG (3.59 MiB) Viewed 1830 times
Boot up video
It keeps looping like that and no sign on HDMI.

What could be the reason for this? And how to fix this, prevent this from happening again?

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Re: V9 Prime error

Post by Feralkiwi »

There is this topic on UP9

That is usually a factory service screen and some times it is due to no serial number being found in the unit.

There is the forced recovery you can try.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

wlf

Post by wlf »

soscaster wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:57 am
After I use the RS232 refresh tool to get back to old UI software, the latest software (V175) is not boot up and only show StRt on the front panel and hang.

Could you tell me wich RS232 adapter do you use?

I try to upgrade my V9 Prime but I didn't succeed; there is no way to downgrade my decoder! :(

soscaster

Post by soscaster »

Feralkiwi wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:37 pm
There is this topic on UP9

That is usually a factory service screen and some times it is due to no serial number being found in the unit.

There is the forced recovery you can try.

Owen
Thank you. I just flashed again with the second latest firmware and it worked again.

soscaster

Post by soscaster »

wlf wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:00 am
soscaster wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:57 am

Could you tell me wich RS232 adapter do you use?

I try to upgrade my V9 Prime but I didn't succeed; there is no way to downgrade my decoder! :(
I'm using Z-TEK USB to COM, and using wires from my Arduino kits to connect to the box without soldering things.
If you can't refresh, I suggest you to check that if the computer has the USB to COM driver or not (should be yes if you're using Windows 10 and so far), check the COM Port it's using to communicate, check the wires and the pin (the wires should be tight to the pin, it took me 45 minutes to recognize that I did not plug my wires tight enough).
Hope you'll figure out the error soon.

wlf

Post by wlf »

It seems that connection and COM are ok; I use Windows 11. I tryed also with Windows 10, same result.

You can see the communication when I start V9 Prime in this post.

Is there a procedure step that I have not considered?

I start download with EROM tool for V9 Prime (the same of V8UHD) and after I power on the decoder. I have Mars, last version, installed in V9 Prime.
I try to send it a BIN file of 20 May 2022 (GTMedia_V9Prime_V175_20220520.zip unzipped).

soscaster

Post by soscaster »

wlf wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:40 am
It seems that connection and COM are ok; I use Windows 11. I tryed also with Windows 10, same result.

You can see the communication when I start V9 Prime in this post.
GND is RS232 pin 5 plug to decoder 1st pin, RX is pin 2 plug to second pin, TX is pin 3 plug to the last pin.
Did you try to unplug the power cable first, start the flash procedure and then plug the power cable back?

And... you should use the Refresh tool for V9 Prime, not for V8UHD (some abs files are different, I guess?)
And use the before version of V175 (V171 right?)
If yes then it must be the pin on the decoder or your RS232 cable has a problem.

wlf

Post by wlf »

I use a USB TTL adapter, the CP2102, with his 3 cables. I connect the TX of USB TTL to RX decoder socket, the RX-USB with the TX-decoder and GND to GND.

I see the USB TTL like Silicon Labs CP210x:

If I test it with Putty when I start the decoder I see some characters arrive. It is not readable becouse I have not found the exact speed and setup, but it seems that communicate.
Last edited by wlf on Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

soscaster

Post by soscaster »

wlf wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:05 am
I use a USB TTL adapter, the CP2102, with his 3 cables. I connect the TX of USB TTL to RX decoder socket, the RX-USB with the TX-decoder and GND to GND.

If I test it with Putty when I start the decoder I see some characters arrive. It is not readable becouse I have not found the exact speed and setup, but it seems that communicate.
Ohh... I'm not using CP2102 so I don't know if the construct are the same with traditional RS232, maybe I'll buy one and test it tomorrow.

wlf

Post by wlf »

soscaster wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:15 am
Ohh... I'm not using CP2102 so I don't know if the construct are the same with traditional RS232, maybe I'll buy one and test it tomorrow.
If you try with Putty and 115200/8/Even/1 no flow control and start the decoder, what do you see?

If you can test it I would be grateful! ;)

I chosed the CP2102 because I followed the advice of this article!

soscaster

Post by soscaster »

wlf wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:32 am
soscaster wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:15 am
If you try with Putty and 115200/8/Even/1 no flow control and start the decoder, what do you see?

If you can test it I would be grateful! ;)

I chosed the CP2102 because I followed the advice of this article!
I'm not near my decoder right now, but after some search I found out that you should not use UART for RS232 protocol since there are differents in how they work (voltage level), and I suggest you to replace your UART CP2102 by a new USB to RS232 with DB9 or like this:
download.jpg
download.jpg (190.55 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
(CH340 + MAX232 or PL2303 + MAX232), because some UART IC can fried your RS232 device.

wlf

Post by wlf »

soscaster wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:43 am
and I suggest you to replace your UART CP2102 by a new USB to RS232 with DB9 or like this
The one that you suggest use PL2303HX chipset; I will try with a Prolific adapter but I don't belive that is an adapter problem. :(

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Check the com port your USB to RS232 is using.

I see in wlf post earlier that his is on port 5.

Here is what I found:

Owen

Edited June 11 2021:
Here are some more note on USB to RS232 serial devices.

Here is how I got this to work

I had plugged the USB to RS232 serial device into a USB port and it loaded the driver as port 14.
The GT Media recovery tool only allows for ports 1 to 9.

I use Windows 7, this may be different for Windows 10.
I opened "My computer" / Control panel / View devices and printers.
There I can see the serial device and the port number it is using, for me that was 14.
I then clicked on it and when to Hardware / Properties / Change settings / Drivers / Uninstall.
Then I plugged in the USB to RS232 to a different USB on the other side of the laptop and it reloaded the driver as port 4.

Then I could set the recovery tool for port 4 and V7Pro.

I then worked.
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

wlf

Post by wlf »

Feralkiwi wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:54 pm
I had plugged the USB to RS232 serial device into a USB port and it loaded the driver as port 14.
The GT Media recovery tool only allows for ports 1 to 9.

I use Windows 7, this may be different for Windows 10.
I opened "My computer" / Control panel / View devices and printers.
There I can see the serial device and the port number it is using, for me that was 14.
I then clicked on it and when to Hardware / Properties / Change settings / Drivers / Uninstall.
Then I plugged in the USB to RS232 to a different USB on the other side of the laptop and it reloaded the driver as port 4.

Then I could set the recovery tool for port 4 and V7Pro.

I then worked.
I had plugged the USB to RS232 TTL serial device into a USB port and it loaded the driver as port COM10.
With COM10 and Putty the adapter works.
I have changed COM10 port, I selected COM4, with Putty continues to work, with GTMedia tools there is not way to pass the second screen. :(

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

That is what I had. A port higher than 9.
Changing the port number in the GT Media software will not fix this, you need to physically change USB ports on your PC so it comes up as a port less than port 9.

Try uninstalling the driver and plugging the USB-RS232 adaptor into a different USB port on your PC so it comes up as a port number below port 9.

Owen

wlf

Post by wlf »

Now I have changed the USB to RS232 adapter; with Silicon Labs CP2102 chipset and Putty when I start the decodere I see:

Code: Select all

/r~▒Bnj~~▒B6▒▒+▒▒S▒ZFrBnjN~JzZF▒jF.6~
                                     ~>>:>>6>>z▒▒

With the second adapter, chipset Prolific PL2303, and Putty, at start I see:

Boot Mode : Nor
Run Maincode, main_entry = 0x80100200!
Same connection parameters.

With Prolific PL2303 connected to decoder and GTMedia Refresh tool the decoder it doesn't turn on when I connect the power cable. Why decoder doesn't turn on?

Is it possible to know which chipset combination works? :?:

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

Try to find an old computer with com port. Use the com port to jack and forget about the USB. You may have conflits somewhere

wlf

Post by wlf »

I used a Windows11 computer; with with Silicon Labs CP2102 chipset adapter I have tryed also with a Windows 10 old computer, but it don't have a real serial port integrated.

It is very difficult to find a old computer with COM port. Is there no chance to make it work with a USB to RS232 adapter? :?:

Cabelo doido

Post by Cabelo doido »

wlf wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:18 am
I used a Windows11 computer; with with Silicon Labs CP2102 chipset adapter I have tryed also with a Windows 10 old computer, but it don't have a real serial port integrated.

It is very difficult to find a old computer with COM port. Is there no chance to make it work with a USB to RS232 adapter? :?:
Com Windows 7 seria ideal!

wlf

Post by wlf »

Cabelo doido wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:39 pm
I have upgraded to Windows 11! :(
The only one old that I have is a Windows 10. The notebook don't have a serial port for a long time. ;(

Why does with Putty the decoder communicate correctly?
For me is a GTMedia refresh tool software problem; it is incompatible with Windows 11. :(

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

wlf wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:12 pm
Cabelo doido wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:39 pm
I have upgraded to Windows 11! :(
The only one old that I have is a Windows 10. The notebook don't have a serial port for a long time. ;(

Why does with Putty the decoder communicate correctly?
For me is a GTMedia refresh tool software problem; it is incompatible with Windows 11. :(
As you wish. Putty is not an approved GTmedia and no one ever reported recovering any unit using so. No one will respond about it because no one ever tried. Why keep going on and on? Maybe that program see something else but as far as a working program it is not approved. Why others had suceeded recovering their units using the approved process and program and you dont? Then, something is wrong on your side.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

wlf wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:59 pm
Now I have changed the USB to RS232 adapter; with Silicon Labs CP2102 chipset and Putty when I start the decodere I see:

/r~▒Bnj~~▒B6▒▒+▒▒S▒ZFrBnjN~JzZF▒jF.6~
                                     ~>>:>>6>>z▒▒

With the second adapter, chipset Prolific PL2303, and Putty, at start I see:

Boot Mode : Nor
Run Maincode, main_entry = 0x80100200!
Same connection parameters.

With Prolific PL2303 connected to decoder and GTMedia Refresh tool the decoder it doesn't turn on when I connect the power cable. Why decoder doesn't turn on?

Is it possible to know which chipset combination works? :?:
When you check, what port number is your RS232 adaptor logged to on windows/
If still above 9 you can not set the port in the GT Media software.

Did you put the USB to RS232 adaptor in a different USB port and then check to port number in windows?
I posted on this earlier here.

Owen

wlf

Post by wlf »

Feralkiwi wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:59 pm
Now I have set the port number to 3, COM3.
Did you put the USB to RS232 adaptor in a different USB port and then check to port number in windows?
I have tryed different USB ports, normal ports and Hub USB ports. Maybe the problem is Windows 11.
cpr43 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:32 pm
As you wish. Putty is not an approved GTmedia and no one ever reported recovering any unit using so. No one will respond about it because no one ever tried. Why keep going on and on? Maybe that program see something else but as far as a working program it is not approved.
Putty is only a terminal program that permit you to see what pass through COM port, it is like the old HyperTerminal of windows. Without it you can not see and understand that COM port work and that COM port is set correctly!
Putty is not need to upgrade or recover device, it is only a monitor program who permit you to check serial communication. :ugeek:
Why others had suceeded recovering their units using the approved process and program and you dont? Then, something is wrong on your side.
You are the one who has to tell me what's wrong! :?
Who are those who managed to downgrade with a V9 Prime or V8UHD? What combination did they adopt (USB adapter chipset/winows version)?
From my side with Putty I can demostrate you that serial communication through PC and decoder work perfectly!
If Putty communicate with COM4 I can show you:
- The wires hare correctly connected with a cross schema (TX-RX, RX-TX, GND-GND).
- The COM port number that I use is correct (COM4).
- The COM port is setted correctly with 115200/8/1/Even no flow control otherwise unreadable characters will arrive.
- The adapter USB to RS232 work correctly (chipset Prolific PL2303).
- The USB adapter have correct drivers. With this drivers I can really change COM port number, I can set the number that I prefer.
- Windows 11 is not the problem because with Putty serial communication work perfectly.

I am expert of serial communication; with UNIX and Linux I had connected several hundreds of terminals with different serial adapters (Specialix, etc). For work I have connected scales, printers, radios and other differents types o devices without problems, it is not the first time I connect a serial device!
I know perfectly how to check if a serial communication works or not.

The only factor that I cannot change is PC hardware; I have not a PC with a serial port integrated in motherboard, and I have only Windows 11 and Windows 10, no Windwos 7 or previous.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

wlf wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:04 am
Feralkiwi wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:59 pm
Now I have set the port number to 3, COM3.
I have tryed different USB ports, normal ports and Hub USB ports. Maybe the problem is Windows 11.
When you tried these other USB ports, did you then check in windows "My computer / Control panel / View devices and printers" and see what port windows was then using for the USB to RS232?
You need to match that windows port number to the port you set in the GT Media software.
You may find there are multiple drivers installed for the RS232 adaptor.

Owen

CAJE
网站管理员

Post by CAJE »

The most effective when there is a conflict with the communication ports is to remove the device from the Windows configuration, the devices will automatically be recognized and work perfectly with your new mapping which in most cases will be the same from com2 to com4 depending on the ports
Attachments
Windows Device Manager
Windows Device Manager
Remove device from Windows management.jpg (47.84 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

Return to “GTMEDIA V9 SERIES”