displaying the actual satellite name you aim at?

V8 FINDER PRO2 /V8 FINDER2 / BT03 /BT05

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

vwnut8392

displaying the actual satellite name you aim at?

Post by vwnut8392 »

does this device display the actual name of the satellite your aiming at? all of my FTA receivers do this so you know your aiming so each sat must transmit its name. If the finder doesnt do this this would be a great feature to add. im tying to aim my dish for Eutelsat 117 West A to watch my new orbyTV setup i just bought and all i know is im aiming at a satellite, not really sure which one.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Re: displaying the actual satellite name you aim at?

Post by Feralkiwi »

When you "blind" scan you will see the transponders (TP's) on that sat.
You can then compare those against sites like lyngsat dot com to see what sat you are on.
The sat name in receivers is held in the unit and you can "Add" new sats and name them anything you want.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

vwnut8392

Post by vwnut8392 »

i dont think you understand what im talking about. for example when i was aiming my HH motorized dish i wanted to watch motortrend channel on echostar 110W because its not a pay channel, its free to air. when i was trying to find echostar 110w satellite receiver would show on the screen "echostar 110" when i was aimed at that satellite. echostar 119W uses the same first transponder 12224, 122239, .... and its really easy to land on that one by accident if you your using the first transponder 12224 for example. when i was aiming with the V8 finder it woudldnt even locate transponder 12486 on echostar 110W. after i got frustrated because i didnt know if i was on 110W or not i went in and looked on my actual FTA box and it showed that i was on 119W the whole time. also i noticed that the V8 finder does not see any of the dish network transponders at all. so over all i think 2 upgrades should be to able to see what sat you aim at because they do transmit their names and add the ability to see dish network transponders because DIY people like my self or even individual professional installers could make use of your V8 finder when doing dish network or directv installations on customer houses. dont need to see the channels on the dish or directv satellites, just where they are and the transponder signal strength is enough to get it dialed in.

juan_vale
网站管理员

Post by juan_vale »

vwnut8392 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:10 am
when i was trying to find echostar 110w satellite receiver would show on the screen "echostar 110" when i was aimed at that satellite.
You must be using an OEM box or a JYNX*** receiver that has a special module to receive the TURBO FEC signal that is used by Dish for the last few years, they changed to that system to eliminate a lot of the piracy with the more common FTA boxes.
vwnut8392 wrote:
also i noticed that the V8 finder does not see any of the dish network transponders at all.
I have a 300 Dll+ Birdog meter and it does not detect any of the Dish transponders on 110/119... it used to but when they switched over to TURBO we lost the ability to find those signals. If you have a receiver that will automatically detect the name of a satellite then please let me know as I would be very interested in buying one. An OEM box will indicate when you are on a specific satellite, but that is only good for their satellites, 129,119,110 and maybe a couple more. So forget about these satellites with any of the low cost satfinders.

The way we do it was explained by Feralkiwi, when you land on a satellite do a blind scan and compare the results with the information available on the internet...if you know roughly where you are pointing then you will only have to go up or down a couple of satellites to find the one you are on.
No live links (Rule #18) highlight the URL and use the Code tag option "</>"
V7HD, V8SUPER, V8X, V7PRO, GTC, FORMULER F4(TURBO)

vwnut8392

Post by vwnut8392 »

juan_vale wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:48 am
vwnut8392 wrote:
when i was trying to find echostar 110w satellite receiver would show on the screen "echostar 110" when i was aimed at that satellite.
You must be using an OEM box or a JYNX*** receiver that has a special module to receive the TURBO FEC signal that is used by Dish for the last few years, they changed to that system to eliminate a lot of the piracy with the more common FTA boxes.
vwnut8392 wrote:
also i noticed that the V8 finder does not see any of the dish network transponders at all.
I have a 300 Dll+ Birdog meter and it does not detect any of the Dish transponders on 110/119... it used to but when they switched over to TURBO we lost the ability to find those signals. If you have a receiver that will automatically detect the name of a satellite then please let me know as I would be very interested in buying one. An OEM box will indicate when you are on a specific satellite, but that is only good for their satellites, 129,119,110 and maybe a couple more. So forget about these satellites with any of the low cost satfinders.

The way we do it was explained by Feralkiwi, when you land on a satellite do a blind scan and compare the results with the information available on the internet...if you know roughly where you are pointing then you will only have to go up or down a couple of satellites to find the one you are on.
both my linkboxes seem to display the names actually. have both 8000HD local and 9000i HD local boxes.

well my problem now it seems is this V8 finder doesnt find anything. not really sure what im doing wrong. LO frequency on my LNB says 9.75ghz to 10.6ghz so i the V8 finders frequency to universal 9750-10600 and when i move my HH dish around i never see anything even peak on any of the transponders. was trying to find Eutelsat 117 West A at 116.8°W for my orbyTV setup i bought. lots of C band on there but there is one open KU transponder 12123 V that is open. i figured if i could find/hit that one i was where i needed to be for my orbyTV receiver. cannot see that or anything anywhere. actually i managed to find a few what must be local channels on 110W with the V8 finder. thats it. these have to be locals because they are obviously not 8PSK turbo and this thing can see them.

juan_vale
网站管理员

Post by juan_vale »

The LNB you are trying to use is a Universal LNB, the LO freqs are 9.75 OR 10.6 Ghz. to activate the 10.6Ghz (which is the one you need to tune the 12123 V) is to set the 22Khz to "ON" in the lnb config page of the V8 Finder. If the 22Khz is not set to ON then the 9.75Ghz LO is activated and that is way out of range for that frequency. I assume you are getting your info from the Lyngsat page, the info for that transponder is more than 3 years old and may well be not valid at this time, I cannot easily confirm as I do not have a KU antenna set up to check it out, I mainly use C-band.
You are correct in that some of the QPSK transponders on the 110/119 sats will show in the meter, unfortunately where I live we get no local TPs at all. If you are lucky to live in an area where the local channels are available then you can use them to tune the antenna, if they are QPSK. Good luck...
No live links (Rule #18) highlight the URL and use the Code tag option "</>"
V7HD, V8SUPER, V8X, V7PRO, GTC, FORMULER F4(TURBO)

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Yes as juan-vale says you need to set your LNB to the band you need.
When you are moving your dish, in the usarl or DiSEqC setting, it should be looking for the TP you have selected.
If your TP data is out of date, also as juan-vale says, you will not see any peak.

I use my finder with a tone finder in the LNB cable so I see / hear the peak signal for any sat that is there, but again if I have a vertical high band TP selected I will not see the sats that have no TP's in that band / polarity.
You may need to move past the sat position four times until you find the band it is using.

Up date TP info will also help ifd you are using just the finder-meter.
Note also that some old LNB's can drift off frequency. There are many earlier model LNBs that my local PayTV provider had that are now 8Mhz off, so a correct TP will not see the frequency that is now 8Mhz away from what you have set.

Another method I use is to move to where I think the sat should be and then blind scan.
This loads in the current TP's, if you are close enough to the sat, and you can then fine tune using one of those.

Good luck

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

vwnut8392

Post by vwnut8392 »

thanks for the input. i put an old single dish network LNB back on my HH dish for now and was watching the motortrend channel but that getting old and lots of repeats. i will have to mess with it more when i have time.

murinjaoo

Post by murinjaoo »

vwnut8392 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:46 am
does this device display the actual name of the satellite your aiming at? all of my FTA receivers do this so you know your aiming so each sat must transmit its name. If the finder doesnt do this this would be a great feature to add. im tying to aim my dish for Eutelsat 117 West A to watch my new orbyTV setup i just bought and all i know is im aiming at a satellite, not really sure which one.
Find out the satellite name you are aiming from the loaded list in your decorder,if it is missing you have the option of adding it to the list or renaming one that you might not use.
10 ft mesh, 6ft, 100 cm, freesat v8 combo, Freesat V7 combo, freesat v8 finder V71 HD.

Rishirajpoot

Post by Rishirajpoot »

Doesn't know about that feature in satellite finder but such feature of identification of a satellite is available in SOLID HDS2-6303 box and visible when you press "info" button.
https://www.solid.sale/solid-hds2-6303-set-top-box
Hope that it is useful to you.
Receiving>0.8W,3e,7e,9e,10e,13e,16e,21e,26e,36e,39e,40e,42e,45e,49e,52.5e,53e, 57e,58e,66e,68e,70e,75e,76.5e,78e,83e,85e,88e,91e,93.5e,95e,97.5e,98e,100.5e,105e,110e,115e,119e,128e,134e,138e & many more...

Return to “GTMEDIA FINDER SERIES”