How to actually fine tune a satellite ?

V8 FINDER PRO2 /V8 FINDER2 / BT03 /BT05

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

TimboZero

How to actually fine tune a satellite ?

Post by TimboZero »

Good day all,
I just bought the V8 Finder Meter. looks like a nice little unit and I have read the user guide completely.
I have also tried to use the meter on my (badly tuned after a storm) dish.
I felt like I had an idea what I was doing, I adjusted the elevation to get the strongest reading and then the rotation for the strongest signal.
At the end of my adjustments, I had strength 77 and quality 60 (before was 66 and 30) but I had no lock. On the TV the reception was worse or non-existent.
Obviously I had less idea of what to do that I had thought.
The satellite I was tuning to was Astra 2E, I did not set my local long/lat or time but did select my region and the right satellite.
What should I be doing that I am not, or how do you use this device (start to end) to fine-tune a dish?
Many Thanks
Timbo

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Re: How to actually fine tune a satellite ?

Post by Feralkiwi »

It looks like you did the same as I would, adjust for peak signal.
If you can get a scan in to the finder, I use a TV channel for the last fine tune, move the dish for the best picture.
I adjusted the elevation to get the strongest reading and then the rotation for the strongest signal.
Did you check the skew, the rotation of the LNB.
As you move from your center satellite, the one with the longitude that is your locations longitude, the skew of the LNB changes.
This is for a fixed dish on a pole, not a USALS dish mover, as that does the rotation on an angle.
See sites like dishpointer dot com for angles like skew elevation etc.

Some of my satellites have a lot of TP's on the H and few on the vertical.
I set the skew by using a TP that is H, and change it to V. Then I set the skew to the minimum point for that TP.
I have satellite with the skew incorrect as they should be set from standard. That should not be the case with Astra 2E.

I use a tone type finder in the LNB cable to find a sat and then an active video to fine tune it.
did select my region and the right satellite.
Maybe do a blind scan. This will correct any minor frequency differences with your LNB compared to the programed TP in the finder.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

TimboZero

Post by TimboZero »

Thanks for the reply.
The lnb rotation should be right, I can see a storm knocking the dish out but the skew ?
Yes, it is a fixed dish on a post on the wall of the house.
Is there a video of an actual dish alignment being done in English (found a couple in other languages)?

lupe2265

Post by lupe2265 »

hi one should understand that satellite makes a figure 8 in the sky depends on the hour of day if your in the middle of this or on one of the sides if the signal is strong it makes little difference but on weak signal you will notice this. also some satellites are very close to each other so you could have picked up another sat in place you are trying to get.

Return to “GTMEDIA FINDER SERIES”