Understanding DVB-S2 and FTA (NOAAPort and NWWS)

V8 FINDER PRO2 /V8 FINDER2 / BT03 /BT05

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

Dataweasel

Understanding DVB-S2 and FTA (NOAAPort and NWWS)

Post by Dataweasel »

Hi all:

I am working on a project where I need to pull data from the National Weather Service (US) NWWS service on Galaxy 28. The information for the signal is here at the bottom: https://www.weather.gov/NWWS/SBNConfig

What I'm finding is that things up there in the satellite world have changed A LOT since the last time I did any real work with satellites about 15 years ago. Before, in the analog world, you pointed your dish at a bird, configured the transponder, configured the sub-carrier (if needed) and that was is. Now you have transponders and a whole host of other settings.

I just got my GT Media V8 Finder and have been reading the forums and have come to the conclusion that I need to step back and get some more basic knowledge. Specifically understanding the mechanics of the channels/transponders, and various options that the V8 finder exposes (PLNS etc.). Some basic Google searches have been a little help.

I'm wondering if someone can point me to some beginner/intermediate background information on the digital satellite ecosystem, specifically as it would pertain to pulling the data signals from services like NWWS (link above)? I understand the very basics of satellite communications (dish alignment, LNBF, etc.). I'm finding I need more understanding of the background of the digital side.

Thanks.

-Joe

Return to “GTMEDIA FINDER SERIES”