How to watch 10bit H264 4:2:2 stream

V8 FINDER PRO2 /V8 FINDER2 / BT03 /BT05

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

veso266

How to watch 10bit H264 4:2:2 stream

Post by veso266 »

Hi there

Today I wanted to watch Eurovision Song contest on EUTELSAT 10A (10°E) at 11298Mhz Vertical polarization and Symbol rate: 19200 and sadly, I could only get sound, no picture

I am using GTMedia Finder V8 Pro with latest software

They are using H264 10bit with 4:2:2:

Code: Select all

https://techex.co.uk/contribution/why-422-10-bit-video-compressio
n

Code: Select all

https://www.ntt-electronics.com/en/info/digital_video/picture-quality-of-cascaded-video-codec/
Stream is BISS encrypted, but I have the key, and audio is working (so decryption is working)

Now, I know I could record and watch later on a computer, but this defeats the purpose (other people record this), I wanted to watch this live, with my dish and a finder

Why is that (that there is only sound)?

Can this be solved so next year I can get both?
Or if you cannot solve it, can you at least open source the firmware so maybe users can (if hardware allows that anyway)

Thanks for Answering and Best Regards

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Re: How to watch 10bit H264 4:2:2 stream

Post by Feralkiwi »

The GT Media units that do 4:2:2 so far are the GT Combo and GTX Combo.
High bit rate feeds have been jumpy and unwatchable with the GT Combo, I have not had a high bit rate feed to test the GTX combo on yet.

You may get the feed sent to your PC via GT Share on other GT Media units and use the 4:2:2 codex there.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

veso266

Post by veso266 »

Feralkiwi wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:27 pm
The GT Media units that do 4:2:2 so far are the GT Combo and GTX Combo.
High bit rate feeds have been jumpy and unwatchable with the GT Combo, I have not had a high bit rate feed to test the GTX combo on yet.

You may get the feed sent to your PC via GT Share on other GT Media units and use the 4:2:2 codex there.

Owen
I see, but is it possible to add this in the future maybe?
Or a way to stream the stream over the network from the finder to a computer?
I mean, I love my finder (ok yes, it has some problems, but as I told in another post, for SAT there is nothing better in terms of what features I like to see in it) and as finder does support wifi (although, it would be great if it would support some more wifi dongles, I have like 4 wifi dongles based on Atheros AR9271 chipset, and Realtek RTL8188SU chipset I don't want to buy another one just for this device (and one of my Atheros adapters is realy good, it has support for external wifi antena))

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Sadly the V8 Finder Pro does not support sat2IP or GT Share.
The wifi will allow you to do auto biss and youtube.
Search chip set on this forum for which are supported.

As for adding these feature, the software for those this is large and added in the factory like codex's for video types.
Adding them now is not an option.
For 4:2:2 you will need the GTX or GT Combo or one of the units that sends the TP data to your PC to watch there.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

veso266

Post by veso266 »

Feralkiwi wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:19 pm
Sadly the V8 Finder Pro does not support sat2IP or GT Share.
The wifi will allow you to do auto biss and youtube.
Search chip set on this forum for which are supported.
I know what chipsets are supported, its just very anoying I have to buy one extra dongle (that will clutter my house and can be lost) if I already have 4 other dongles (some even support external antena), also why can't drivers for Atheros dongles be added?
Feralkiwi wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:19 pm
As for adding these feature, the software for those this is large and added in the factory like codex's for video types.
Adding them now is not an option.
For 4:2:2 you will need the GTX or GT Combo or one of the units that sends the TP data to your PC to watch there.

Owen
I am confused, aren't you the factory? Would it be possible to add them in the future? (this device runs linux if I am not mistaken so you have a lot of software freedom)

There is the problem, I cannot use anything but the finder to watch television on (If I would, I would buy a dreambox in an instant), because I use my dish in the nature where I cannot bring a big tv, separate box, big generator to power everything as well as remote control for that box

There is a lot of features that many of us want and its understandable that you cannot do everything, but if you open sourced the firmware (like I already proposed in this post: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=29133 )

Comunity could work on them, and this could be the best portable SAT TV on the planet, yes, it does have hardware problems, but if it would have open source software and people would add features (or at least were able to add features if they wanted), you would have more sales, I would certantly buy GTMedia imidiatly if it would have open source firmware

Why do you think people love SAT dongles for computer so much (because the onlything the dongle does is carry the raw signal to computer, then computer can do wonders with it)

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

Hi

I too use the finder when away from home camping or in the car.

Please note I help out here on this forum, but do not work for GT Media.
You can email GT Media on their service email for direct questions to them.

4:2:2 is new and very few units have the needed codex in them.
The GT Combo has that, but can not cope with high bit rate 4k 4:2:2 feeds, like 30Mb/s and over.
I see bite rates as high as 70Mb/s on some feeds now.
That needs a lot of processing power, and the codex.

New units will come out with these new formats built in, but adding them after production does seem to not be posable.
Look at your very old (10 years or more) satellite box. Likely it only did Mpeg2.

Owen

veso266

Post by veso266 »

Feralkiwi wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:30 pm
Hi

I too use the finder when away from home camping or in the car.

Please note I help out here on this forum, but do not work for GT Media.
You can email GT Media on their service email for direct questions to them.

4:2:2 is new and very few units have the needed codex in them.
The GT Combo has that, but can not cope with high bit rate 4k 4:2:2 feeds, like 30Mb/s and over.
I see bite rates as high as 70Mb/s on some feeds now.
That needs a lot of processing power, and the codex.

New units will come out with these new formats built in, but adding them after production does seem to not be posable.
Look at your very old (10 years or more) satellite box. Likely it only did Mpeg2.

Owen
Thanks, you are a great help, I just thought you worked for them since you have blue username :D

Do you have this email somewhere (the onlything I know from this company is the forum and their aliexpress store and a bunch of ebay sellers), I will ask them, it would be great if I could at least stream the whole mpeg stream (maybe if I plug 5ghz wifi dongle in there for faster transfer speed) and decode it on my phone (which has a better processor), watching in 4k on small screen is pointless, but it could downscale to 1080p maybe

I know I have a lot of wierd ideas, I just dont want to limit myself to hardware problems like some users are doing

BTW: my portable tv (I featured in a comparison video once) from 2017 didnt decode H265/HEVC at first, but after asking I did get the software update that enabled that

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

You will find the email for GT Media where you least expect it.

V8 Finder Pro. Menu / other / info.

Owen

Return to “GTMEDIA FINDER SERIES”