epg missing on some channels

GTMEDIA X8/GTMEDIA_X8COMBO

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

griffoh

epg missing on some channels

Post by griffoh »

hello!

i am new here so sorry if i am using this forum incorrectly!

i watch satellite tv using a gtmedia v8x and a couple of days ago the epg stopped working on a couple of channels. all otheres are ok.

i contacted the channels and was fobbed off with 'must be your receiver' and 'call your provider' (nothing changes!).

can anyone offer advice on why the epgs would stop working? i believe it is the broadcaster at fault.

thanks!

STRETCH

Re: epg missing on some channels

Post by STRETCH »

First of all welcome.
You have posted in the wrong section, (cpr) should be along soon to move to the correct section.
This section is for the (X8) receiver.
Can you let us know what satellite / channels that you have a issue with, then other users may confirm the same issue or not and then advise.

Den

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

hi there, so far i have lost epg on talking pictures tv and smithsonian.

i watch them via eutelsat 28a but also can watch talking pictures tv on astra 1H and astra 1G - same epg issue on all sats.

thanks!

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

Have just carried out a scan of the said channels with my V8X, and can confirm that the EPG does not work on the SD channels of (Smithsonian and Talking Pictures).
On transponder 11509V 23000 28E you can get Smithsonian HD, the EPG works on that channel.
Can you confirm what transponder you are getting (Talking Pictures) on satellites 1H / 1G.
Is your system a single dish or do have a motor.

Den

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

hi den,

thanks for the reply.

i must admit i need to learn more about these things as it seems eutelsat 28a has not existed for some time, i guess it's just the info in my gtmedia box is outdated?

the box says the sat is at 28.20 east and freqs 9750 - 10600 (i googled this but failed to find anything useful!).

hope this helps.

griffoh

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

hello again, is this any use?

this is talking pictures tv.

i use a static dish, i am in southern spain.

cheers!
Attachments
astra.jpg
astra.jpg (281.64 KiB) Viewed 4237 times

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

Seeing as you use a static dish which is pointing at 28e, on your receiver, (the one that you should use is marked (28E Eutelsat 28).
With you only having one dish, and it is pointing at 28e, what ever satellite , you may have in your satellite list you will always get the same channels when you scan. The said channels are only on 28e, and are not on any other satellite.
Hope this helps.

Den

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

hi, thanks, i appreciate your info.

so i guess its the broadcaster at fauly regarding missing epg?

cheers.

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

p.s. i did wonder why i was (or so i thought) receiving from a satellite at a different position... i thought maybe it was atmospherics!

cheers.

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

If you are able to get a motor onto your dish, there are a lot of channels at 30w which are the Abertis group and also 27.5w which are the BBC, that the said decoder decodes with out having to put keys into the receiver.

Den

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

hi den, i would love to do such a thing but there is a mountain in the way so no way to see sats in west.

cheers.

griffoh!

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

ps, is that intelsat 901 at 27 west? the satback satellite (back up sat for freeview)?

id so, i was led to believe you need keys for that.

griffoh.

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

Keys are required for 27.5w, but with the newer GTMedia receivers, the keys will be found, when connected to the internet.

Den

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

wow! impressive.

cheers.

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

Forgot to say, check out (dishpointer), put in your area code, put the (x) to were your dish is, and check any of the satellites that you can get in your area, the information should come up with, what adjustment your dish should be, checks if there are any obstruction in the way and how far away it could be. With the correct information you could set up a motor system, or go for a second dish set at 27.5w and use a (diseq switch).
Pay a visit to your local satellite shop, as they say, if you do not ask, you will not find out.

Den

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

hi yes, i have usedthe app but i cannot get the west sats due sto a mountain being in the way!

i appreciate you taking the time to offer help.

thanks.

g.

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

p.s. local satellite shop, i had to laugh! not in rural spain, i'd need to drive 2 hours minimum!

g.

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

actually there is a local shop that has a satellite install service.. but only one service, for spains version of freesat, i once spoke to him, he insisted nothing else is possible! which i why i bough all the stuff online and did it all myself!

g.

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

I know that this hobby is trial and error, how far away is this mountain that you have, and how high is it.
What info can you get from (dish pointer).

Den

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

it's too high and in the wrong place!

cheers.

g.

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

griffoh wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:52 pm
it's too high and in the wrong place!

cheers.

g.
The site dishpointer dot com has a tool that shows how high the signal is at a distance you set.
It is in the top right of the map called "Show obstacle (line of sight checker)"
You set your location, choose the satellite you hope to see, then you will see the line to the satellite.
The tool can then be moved to the mountain and it will show a height at that point.
You can then compare that to the know height of the mountain at that point.

Another way is to wait for the sun to pass behind your line of satellite as it does twice a year and then look to how far east / west you can see it.
When this happens you loose signal for 30 minutes at mid day for the satellite that is due south of you.
I have used this to look through trees etc for low satellites using a compass bearing (and google map lines) to check if they can be seen.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

thanks.

i forgot to add that my neighbours house also blocks that part of the heavens and to get round that i would have to put my dish on a mast about 15 or more metres high. not ideal, not what i want to be doing, and there's still that mountain.

appreciate your input.

talking pictures tv is now ignoring the problem i reported to them!

g.

STRETCH

Post by STRETCH »

On official receivers, that receive the signal from 28e the likes of (Frxxsat / Sxy) should get the epg if sent, other receivers may only get now and next.

Den

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

hi stretch,

i am definitely pointing at 28e - i have been since i first set it up years ago when the footprint was wider, meaning all uk tv channels available.

the changes meant a lot of fly by night 'tv experts' in the more ex-pat heavy areas of spain made good money 'installing' online uk tv on their pc's.

appreciate your comments.

g.

griffoh

Post by griffoh »

STRETCH wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:23 pm
On official receivers, that receive the signal from 28e the likes of (Frxxsat / Sxy) should get the epg if sent, other receivers may only get now and next.

Den
it's worked fine for me for a few years. i guess i just have to put uo with it!

cheers.

g.

Return to “GTMEDIA X8 SERIES”