Some TNT Sat channels not working

Français, discussion produit GTMedia

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

TriggersBroom

Some TNT Sat channels not working

Post by TriggersBroom »

Hello - this one has stumped me but I wonder if anyone else has any ideas.

I'm in London and have TNTSat in two rooms. Suddenly in the last 2-3 weeks, a few channels I watch are not working properly: picture freezing or jumping, sound making that electric/jumping high pitched noise like you get when there's a storm overhead. It is only affecting a few channels:

- France 5 (slightly)
- France 4 (a lot)
- German channel das Erste/ARD HD (but the standard definition option is completely fine)
- Some of the 3rd regional German channels but by no means all.
- Sat.1 standard channel and some of the regional versions of it (e.g. Bayern) but not the majority.

Most channels are fine, including TF1, France 2, France 3, ZDF, RTL.

Here is the weird thing: I only get this problem in the living room. Not in the kitchen. I have the same Humax box in each room, both cards were purchased at the same time and are not out of date. Both boxes are connected to the same satellite dish. I checked the frequencies of the boxes to make sure they were the same. I swapped the cards between the two boxes and that made no difference. I then swapped the boxes around. The problem was still only in the living room even with the boxes switched around. I've tried playing around with different frequencies in the living room but haven't found anything that fixed it yet. Restarted each box as part of the switch around, no difference. As I said, this wasn't a problem until a few weeks ago.

The engineer who fitted my dish (7 years ago) and put the cables in (re-done about 4 months ago) doesn't seem to know either. His best guess is it's a cable problem (since it's clearly not a box problem), but how would a damaged cable mean France 3 is fine and France 4 is not fine? The only other information I can think of that somehow differentiates the two rooms is that the kitchen tv and cable entry point are closer to the satellite dish than the living room tv, where the cable has to travel the length of the property and up and down over the roof. Maybe 30m in total. But my engineer didn't seem to think the length of cable should be a problem with those distances.

Any ideas? The fact one room is fine and the other is not has completely thrown me.

Thank you

STRETCH

Re: Some TNT Sat channels not working

Post by STRETCH »

You may have to change the lnb.
With the lnb, that you have fitted, how many outputs does it have, if it has more than two, you could put the lead from the (living room) onto another output, BUT before you do, make sure that both receivers are switched off, before you unscrew the cable at the lnb.
Is France 3 and 4 both on the same transponder, have had a look on (king of sat), found that France 4 is only on one transponder 12402v 29700.
France 3 is on various transponders.

Den

ZorKas

Post by ZorKas »

In your explanations it seems that the satellite signal was altered upon arrival at the show
You must check the signal with a spectrum analyzer (satellite demodulator used to point the dishes) at the living room socket before the demodulator
Analysis of the spectrum of satellite reception allows us to have a precise idea of the Signal/Noise ratio as well as its quality.
Then deduce the information from the frequencies where the problem channels are located.

Attachments
SatLink.jpg
SatLink.jpg (73.1 KiB) Viewed 837 times

TriggersBroom

Post by TriggersBroom »

Thanks. Think I'll need to get my engineer back to help with the spectrum analyser and getting on the roof to change the LNB connectors/look to see if I need a new one. I know it's a standard LNB and think it had 4 ports. In terms of what I can do down on the ground, I looked at changing the transponder settings on my set top box to match the France 4 or Das Erste HD that I found on King of Sat and it made no difference. And anyway I've got 11856/27500 in the kitchen and everything works fine.

Don't know if it's of any relevance/connection, but a few weeks back I had the same jumping/freezing on my UK freeview off a normal terrestrial arial. BBC One, ITV, Channel 4. Whenever it happened it always seemed to be in the evening. Seems to have fixed itself without doing anything to it. But my satellite problem is all the time not just evenings.

Return to “Français”