L098

V7 TT Pro / V7S HD /V7 Plus/V7 S2X /V7PRO/ V7 TT

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

L098

Post by 901 »

I have a Freesat v7 HD that I love and miss, the fact it is no longer working as of a cpl of days ago. I have flashed it numerous times in the past without an issue whatsoever. But the other day when I did this something went bad wrong. First I upgraded the firmware. That succeeded without a problem. So next I proceeded to bring the udb that I had saved to a usb stick, back into the unit. So I do that, it then indicates don't shut off, which I didn't, so that the unit could reboot itself. As it was starting back up it indicated the usual things you see on the LED---Boot---followed by Load---but then it gets to L098 on the LED and doesn't proceed any further.

So now any time I try and boot this unit up, it goes through the same routine where it ultimately stops with L098 showing on the LED. So I was looking at a Youtube video where one person was using a usb to reflash a unit that won't fully boot. The idea was to rename the firmware to flash.bin, then put it in the root of the usb stick, insert it into the unit, then plug unit in while pressing menu on the remote. This didn't work in my case. The unit would not respond to the remote.

So I then see that some are using an rs32 cable when something like this happens. Is this what I need to do as well? If yes, where do I find such a cable that will work for this?

cpr43
网站管理员

Re: L098

Post by cpr43 »

Just rename the firmware to only flash and use a 16/32 gb USB stick or less

Post by 901 »

cpr43 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:45 pm

I just tried your suggestion, it's still doing the same thing, not responding to anything. Even the usb 16 gb pen drive I am using, it's not even lighting up with it's orange light on. The usb pen drive is good though. It works just fine in my pc, but apparently the V7 unit isn't even powering it on by the time it stops at the L098 it displays on the LED after bootup.

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

901 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:24 pm
cpr43 wrote:

I just tried your suggestion, it's still doing the same thing, not responding to anything. Even the usb 16 gb pen drive I am using, it's not even lighting up with it's orange light on. The usb pen drive is good though. It works just fine in my pc, but apparently the V7 unit isn't even powering it on by the time it stops at the L098 it displays on the LED after bootup.
Try using an older file. Try formattting the USB to FAT32 and leaving just the flash file in it. Or try using another USB

Post by 901 »

cpr43 wrote:
Try using an older file. Try formattting the USB to FAT32 and leaving just the flash file in it. Or try using another USB
I do have 2 more 16gb pen drives. I tried them as well, they are not powering up either. I haven't tried your other suggestions yet though. I have yet to try---leaving just the flash file in it, nor have I tried using an older file. According to Properties when I right click these pen drives while inserted into my pc, they all indicate they are already FAT32.

Post by 901 »

cpr43 wrote:

Try using an older file. Try formattting the USB to FAT32 and leaving just the flash file in it.
I just now got around to doing all of these things, I even reformatted. Still nothing. The unit is not powering up the USB stick.

Nero

Post by Nero »

901 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:36 pm
cpr43 wrote:

Try using an older file. Try formattting the USB to FAT32 and leaving just the flash file in it.
I just now got around to doing all of these things, I even reformatted. Still nothing. The unit is not powering up the USB stick.

I believe it will only solve for RS 232.

Post by 901 »

Nero wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:59 pm

That's what I am starting to think as well, though I am no expert here. So where can I get the cable necessary to do this? Can I make one of my own perhaps? If yes, what is the procedure?

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

901 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:38 pm
Nero wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:59 pm

That's what I am starting to think as well, though I am no expert here. So where can I get the cable necessary to do this? Can I make one of my own perhaps? If yes, what is the procedure?
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=321

Code: Select all

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966135533.html

Post by 901 »

cpr43 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:18 pm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966135533.html
Thanks for the link but unfortunately I'm confused as to exactly which cable I need? Lot of cables to choose from at that link. I was under the impression that I would need to take the top cover off of the Freesat v7 HD, then connect a cable such as the following example shows.

https://i0.wp.com/satgist.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/UPV7-PANEL-RS-232.png?w=1170&ssl=1

The cable in the pic looks homemade though, but is there a similar cable at that link you provided?

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

I wrote some instructions for the V8 Finder for rs232 recovery.

It is on the download / others / RS232 recovery for V8 Finder.

The process is much the same.

Good luck.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

Post by 901 »

Feralkiwi wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:54 pm
I wrote some instructions for the V8 Finder for rs232 recovery.

It is on the download / others / RS232 recovery for V8 Finder.

The process is much the same.

Good luck.

Owen
I found the thread you were referring to and then read through it. I don't see myself being able to get all that put together and working successfully. I don't know if I can even find all the parts needed. I'd rather just buy a cable already put together, one I don't have to try and make myself. I did ask ealier though if there was a way to make one yourself, but the more I think about it, I just don't see me as being successful at accomplishing that. Knowing my luck I would probably end up shorting something out in the process where I end up frying the Freesat altogether.

calv

Post by calv »

Flash it back,rename flash file with flash.bin put into usb ,after that,turn off power,put usb pendrive,turn on,in the same time,pres menu few times untill USB UPGRADE show,wait flashing finish,stb will run normal back.

Post by 901 »

calv wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:00 pm
Flash it back,rename flash file with flash.bin put into usb ,after that,turn off power,put usb pendrive,turn on,in the same time,pres menu few times untill USB UPGRADE show,wait flashing finish,stb will run normal back.
I think I have already tried all of that with no success. When I insert the pendrive into the unit the pendrive doesn't power up, nor does the unit respond to the remote. When I initially power the unit up it displays Boot, followed by Load, then a few more things flash across the screen, too fast to tell what it says, then it stops when it gets to L098 on the screen.

cpr43
网站管理员

Post by cpr43 »

901 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:29 pm
calv wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:00 pm
I think I have already tried all of that with no success. When I insert the pendrive into the unit the pendrive doesn't power up, nor does the unit respond to the remote. When I initially power the unit up it displays Boot, followed by Load, then a few more things flash across the screen, too fast to tell what it says, then it stops when it gets to L098 on the screen.
Either you are renaming the file in a wrong way or the USB device is not compatible. Try another USB. Rename the file to just flash (it will take the .bin automatically)

Post by 901 »

cpr43 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:03 pm

Either you are renaming the file in a wrong way or the USB device is not compatible. Try another USB. Rename the file to just flash (it will take the .bin automatically)
I have 3 usb pendrives. They are all 16 GB. I have done numerous firmware upgrades in the past using these very same pendrives. So they should be compatible if they all worked successfully in the past. That would be my logic anyway.

Is this the proper way to rename? Example---Freesat_v7_hd.bin. Keep in mind just an example, and not that I am using this particular bin. I then select the entire file name with the mouse, then right click, then choose rename, then rename it to flash.

juan_vale
网站管理员

Post by juan_vale »

901, I sent you a PM....
No live links (Rule #18) highlight the URL and use the Code tag option "</>"
V7HD, V8SUPER, V8X, V7PRO, GTC, FORMULER F4(TURBO)

Post by 901 »

Some good news finally. I have a fully functional V7 HD once again. I can't explain why it wasn't initially working via flashing thru usb, but finally it succeeded thru the usb method. Thanks for all the help, I don't need to do the rs232 method afterall. The usb method worked just fine though I still have no clue why it initially didn't. But that doesn't matter now, the main thing is that it eventually worked. now I can watch some tv again. :)

juan_vale
网站管理员

Post by juan_vale »

901 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:03 am
Some good news finally. I have a fully functional V7 HD once again. I can't explain why it wasn't initially working via flashing thru usb, but finally it succeeded thru the usb method. Thanks for all the help, I don't need to do the rs232 method afterall. The usb method worked just fine though I still have no clue why it initially didn't. But that doesn't matter now, the main thing is that it eventually worked. now I can watch some tv again. :)
Great news... good for you.... the old saying "if at first you don't succeed" :)
No live links (Rule #18) highlight the URL and use the Code tag option "</>"
V7HD, V8SUPER, V8X, V7PRO, GTC, FORMULER F4(TURBO)

Post by 901 »

juan_vale wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:26 am
901 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:03 am
Great news... good for you.... the old saying "if at first you don't succeed" :)

I have a theory why it wasn't initially working. I never had it hooked up to my tv at the time, lol. I assumed that it would display what I needed to know on the led of the V7. But when I hooked it up to the tv the usb stick immediately powered on, then the flashing worked like a charm. I feel somewhat embarrassed actually, if the tv was supposed to be hooked up to it the entire time, but that I never had it hooked up to the tv, thus why it wasn't working. I never claimed to be an expert at these kind of things though. I'll know what to do next time, though I hope there won't be a next time to have to deal with. :)

Feralkiwi
网站管理员

Post by Feralkiwi »

My early V7HD also did this.
I sent it away to a freind (Wiilliis) and he got it working.
I tried RS232 and all the other stuff.

I woundered if it was electronic chip recovery over time.
That is an idea that the dammaged part repairs it self, a small hole in a circuit closes over time or some thing like that.
I always had the TV connected, but yes it may be helped as that part of software would have to setup the hand shakes with the TV and that takes time as does sending the TV HDMi, maybe enough time to let it "look" for the remote "Menu" press and USB.

Owen
Dishes; 3x3m, 2.4m and 4.1m, 10+ ku, 2 movers, USARLS. V8 Combo, Pro, V8 Golden, Nova V8Pro2, GTC, Super.V7HDs, Combo and V7s V7Plus Finder, Finder-Meter V8X / UHD V7Pro GT/XCombo. Sats 100.5E to 177W. I'm a Sat hobbyist who helps out.

Larry

Post by Larry »

I had two receivers with a similar problem. I recovered both of them today with the following sequence.
1. Format USB drive FAT-32.
2. Put firmware on the USB drive and rename it flash.bin.
I used the 20190409 firmware.
3. Plug the USB drive into the receiver with power removed.
4. Plug in the receiver.
As soon as the receiver displays BOOT start pressing the remote Menu button repeatedly.
The receiver will display UPG on the front panel. (I don't remember what the screen showed).
5. After the firmware load completes the receiver will boot and the user database will be empty.
6. Reload a database and softcam.key and you should be back in operation.

I tried a number of things and repeatedly pressing the remote Menu button seemed to be the key.
I think the user database gets corrupted during the firmware upgrade and the receiver locks up while trying to reload the database.
Good Luck, Hope this helps.

Post by 901 »

Larry wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:24 pm
I had two receivers with a similar problem. I recovered both of them today with the following sequence.
1. Format USB drive FAT-32.
2. Put firmware on the USB drive and rename it flash.bin.
I used the 20190409 firmware.
3. Plug the USB drive into the receiver with power removed.
4. Plug in the receiver.
As soon as the receiver displays BOOT start pressing the remote Menu button repeatedly.
The receiver will display UPG on the front panel. (I don't remember what the screen showed).
5. After the firmware load completes the receiver will boot and the user database will be empty.
6. Reload a database and softcam.key and you should be back in operation.

I tried a number of things and repeatedly pressing the remote Menu button seemed to be the key.
I think the user database gets corrupted during the firmware upgrade and the receiver locks up while trying to reload the database.
Good Luck, Hope this helps.

Did you ever have the box hooked up to the tv at the time? I initially never did have it hooked up to the tv. I was simply expecting it to say UPG on the front panel yet it never did. Then eventually I decided to hook the box up to the tv via HDMI. Before I did this all those other times, the usb stick wasn't even powering on. But when I hooked the box to the tv the usb stick immediately powered on and that the flashing worked like a charm at that point. But if your box was never hooked up to the tv, yet you were still able to successfully reflash, I wonder why mine wouldn't reflash until I hooked it up to the tv first?

You mentioned this----I think the user database gets corrupted during the firmware upgrade and the receiver locks up while trying to reload the database.

I think you are correct since that's what I was doing when the receiver initially locked up.

iq180
网站管理员

Post by iq180 »

Every time you power the receiver off and back on you will see LO and the CH number the box was last on, I think you mite have been in PAL mode I don't know.

Larry

Post by Larry »

In my cases the receiver would load to 98 and freeze.
I got the FreeSat or GT Media splash screen when it first powered up.
There was no video when the unit froze.
My TV will display PAL mode or NTSC.
I had a display connected but I was focused on the receiver front panel. I think it displayed Upgrade in big letters.
The unit would not respond to remote control or front panel buttons.

Return to “GTMEDIA V7 SERIES”