lnb question

V7 TT Pro / V7S HD /V7 Plus/V7 S2X /V7PRO/ V7 TT

Moderators: admin, GTMedia Team

Lance007

lnb question

Post by Lance007 »

looking to buy a lnb to replace my old 90s one in specs I notice some say 15k or 17k what is better lower k or higher k thanks in advance

STRETCH

Re: lnb question

Post by STRETCH »

What sort of LNB are you after, is it for "C" BAND or for the "KU" BAND.
Let us members know, for we will be able to let you know what is best.

Den

etlam34

Post by etlam34 »

Lower K better

JuricaM

Post by JuricaM »

I suggest that you look for a reference receiver, which LNB receiver accepts.

Lance007

Post by Lance007 »

sorry i have a old norsat c band lnb and its dieing was wandering about specs lower or greater better I have a old dms also but its 11 to 15 yrs old and it doesn't perform well are the China lnbs anygood ??? I have a v7s also

Lance007

Post by Lance007 »

I don't get near the stability or as many channels with dms one

Marantz

Post by Marantz »

Some C band lnbf units don't have the frequency stability that others do and you wont be able to get some of the Higher Def channels decoded even though you appear to have good signal strength on the receivers bar graph / meter .

The lower the noise rating "K" the better the lnb /lnbf is ....,all other ratings being the same between the units ( DB gain)
But make sore you compare frequency stability too ,its very important with the new modes of transmission and reception

The Titanium LNBFs seem to be very popular with people on this site ,thats what i am using now , and they advertise /boast good frequency stability ,gain and noise .

I was using a DMS and the Titanium would lock in more channels ,

In fact i was doing some Re-Testing two weeks ago between the two LNBFs when we had a break of warm weather ,the DMS was not as good ....sorry DMS !

you mention you have an old LNB and i don't know if it is a real old feed-horn ,lnb and polarizer motor or is the newer style like i am referring to up above

Since you are on the freesat site i have to guess you have a newer receiver and have a LNBF ,not the old system with the three discrete components, Feed-horn ,lnb, and separate polar rotor

As for KU ,i just bought a cheep SR-320 in the summer to replace my old fortec lnbf and it works OK for the money ,I probably should have researched the specs a little more but i just wanted to try a cheapy for the hell of it on KU since the fortec was very old , we shall see how it works/ lasts through a northern winter but for now its working pretty good

Lance007

Post by Lance007 »

I have a old norsat lnb with polarizer and freesat v7s sad that my ancient norsat out performs the newer one my problem is if I leave dish on for like 24hrs lnb dies and seems to work fine in 4to 5 hrs I've checked cable it's fine sux cause this lnb is way more stable than dms one I've been turning it off at bed time and not leaving it on seems to do trick but I know times ticking on it it's from 90s or late 80s

Lance007

Post by Lance007 »

also I use ancient uniden reciever to move dish and switch polarity but use v7 as main unit

Marantz

Post by Marantz »

I being tinkering since 1987 , many receivers ,mostly Drake ,several feed-horns of the day and used a chaparral feed , motor and 65 D LNA for years but i switched over to the newer LNBF several years ago ,i don't have too much experience with newer LNBs

think about trying the new LNBF units ,it sure simplifies things ,the mechanical/servo polarity issue ,but you don't get skewing so make sure you rotate /optimize the feed on install ,all you get is the two polarity switching voltages on the signal coax that just switches from H to V 90 degrees ,so spend the time and rotate it to find the hot spot

on C band i still use a stand alone positioner

If you are NOT using the loop through on the old receiver to feed over the 950 to 1450 signal to the freesat and you are feeding your LNB directly from the freesat , just for the hell of it ,maybe go into the freesats lnb set up menu and try running the LNB polarity setting from Auto to either fixed Horizontal or Vertical since this changes the voltage on the 75 ohm cable feeding your LNB .most older lnbs use 18 to 24 volts

In manual set up mode ... Vertical polarity will supply about 11 to 14 up the cable and 18 to 20 volts on horizontal

Larry

Post by Larry »

I have had pretty good luck with the Titanium Satellite LNBs. They are available on Amazon and EBay as well as through their site.
All of the LNBs I have found lately have very thin / cheap scalar rings. Once you get them aligned they work pretty good. I am using a scalar ring from an
feedhorn that is much more rigid.

Another trick I have used lately is take a piece of 2" PVC pipe and cut a short ring (1/2 " or so). Split it so it will fit around the LNB and clamp in place with a large hose clamp. If you align it so the back of the PVC ring is square and places the LNB at the correct focal length for your dish it makes it much easier to rotate and clamp the LNB to the scalar ring.

etlam34

Post by etlam34 »

I strongly recommemd titanium lnb espacially for an undersized dish.

Return to “GTMEDIA V7 SERIES”